Rear Axel Shifted Back -- How do I correct? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Axel Shifted Back -- How do I correct?

Gator Jeff

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4
In doing my leaf spring/shock replacements, my rear axel is now a couple inches too far back. Fortunately, its still in alignment. How do I fix this? :banghead:

Note, I only have two jack stands and the stock bottle jack. I do however have all the sockets as well as rachet straps.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you sure the leafs aren't end for ended?

That sucker should just slide forward on the slip yoke if the drive shaft is still installed-try shoving forward while turning the driveshaft to align the splines?

Leafs are in correct position, I know because I started to hang one wrong and the difference was close to a foot off.

Will try shoving forward tonight. What's the best technique for this?

I guess this means no e-brake. should I leave it in neutral than as well and just chock the front wheel?

Thank you!

You've been around here long enough to know about safety, but do you have a helper there with you? You are getting into dangerous territory here.

Be sure that truck won"t move at all before you go shoving on the rear!!.

Leave it in park and release the emergency brake so the drive shaft will rotate.

Something already moved on you-that's why i'm pushing the caution. Did the truck roll forward or did the axle just slide back?

Thanks for the concern! Yeah, used jack stands all weekend placed just forward of the front leaf mounts. I jack up the truck as high as I need to, place the stands, lower the jack so frame is solidly on the stands.

Should have a helper tonight as I'm replacing his alternator, but not sure what how much he can contribute.

I think the axel must have slid back when I had the leafs off. I definitely didn't notice anything slipping and my fight with the lower shock mounts occured while the spring plates (and therefore the leafs) were still firmly attached to the axel.

New shocks, swaped saggy monoleafs for new F code leafpacks.

New shocks, swaped saggy monoleafs for new F code leafpacks.

Where did you get the leafs??? If the leaf pin is sitting correctly in the perches and your sure you put the leafs on the correct way im inclined to say they gave you a a ranger pack possibly.

Hold the monoleaf up to the leafpack and see if length is different as well as the arc and the axle position. I installed leaf packs off an F150 but I kept the main leaf and just swapped the rest.

wouldn't shock me if I did get ranger springs, but I'm inclined to think they are correct since the wheel is visably off center in the wheel well by about the same amount as the axel is missing the leaf pin.

Hold the monoleaf up to the leafpack and see if length is different as well as the arc and the axle position. I installed leaf packs off an F150 but I kept the main leaf and just swapped the rest.

Everything looks right. I did the same swap a dozen or so others have done on the forum, but the rear axel moved in the process. I think I erred in not chocking the rear wheels even though they were mostly unweighted. :banghead:

Are the center pins of the new leafs lined up on the holes of the spring perches??

If you mean in a left/right orientation, yes. The pins are just an inch and some forward of the holes on the perches.

Measure the distance between the front end of the spring and the center pin or bolt head that goes into the bottom of the axle. It should be the same as the monoleaf if not then that will change the axle location, nothing else should affect the axle position.

IMG_0440_Medium_.jpg

Measure the distance between the front end of the spring and the center pin or bolt head that goes into the bottom of the axle. It should be the same as the monoleaf if not then that will change the axle location, nothing else should affect the axle position.

Can no longer measure old springs. They went out in the trash. Pin position on leafs are correct. Axel has definitely shifted back. Just need to know best way to push/pull axel back into proper position.

If you mean in a left/right orientation, yes. The pins are just an inch and some forward of the holes on the perches.

From what I am reading here I am assuming that they shifted backwards and the perch is not sitting in the pin as it is supposed to. ( I believe this is what Carlover was asking as well) It's a little unclear if the truck was driven or is still on jackstands.

So are the u-bolts on yet? If not, it is easy enough to just lift up the axle and slide it forward. Once it sits on the pins your should be locked into place.

For the sake of safety, don't worry about the driveshaft, it's even better that it is out of the slip yoke instead of you or your buddy laying under a truck that you are pushing/banging/kicking an axle into position that is only supported on 2 jackstands 4 feet from the rear of the truck.

If they are in the pins, then yes your leafs don't match the old ones.

Was driven. So, just to confirm, put up on jack stands and loosen u-bolts to move back.

Two questions: 1) How do I know how far to push and 2) how do I keep axel in right place when reattaching spring plates?

Thanks!

Yeah, that's the problem. I just need a "how to fix"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Park the truck. Jack it up and put in on the stands. Jack up the rear and remove the ubolts and plate. Slide the axle forward until the pins are set in place and re attach the ubolts and plate. The axle doesnt always want to sit easily on those pins so it might take some muscle. And dont completely tighten the side you start on until youve set the other in place. That way the axle will swivel a little and be easier to set in.

Back