sk1er17

My "Jeep Thing" itches...
Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
ok guys, im almost done with my lift!

Ive posted this question in a few threads ive found about AAL's but i think they're too old and on-ones paying attention anymore!

Here it goes.

I have a 98 Sport- Put leaf packs off a 2001 4 door- have War153 shackles- Rancho 9000x shocks- TT up front.

This all basically done 2 weeks ago. The X looks awesome. No sagging in the rear at all now, its actually roughly .5 inches higher than the front.

My question: I want the rear to sit about an inch or two higher than the front AFTER the shocks and springs settle a little. Do i get the DOUBLE AAL or just a single?

Im afraid the double will be over-doing it, but i dont want a single and have it flatten in few months.

Also, another thing im worried about is the installation of a double: when i put on the leaf packs the axel didnt reach the top of the springs... i actually had to put the jack UNDER the leaf packs and jack it up a few inches to the axel... i was able to jack up the springs easy enough, they even went a few inches higher than the axel before they started lifting up my X from the jack stands.... if i do a DOUBLE AAL will it be a lot harder to jack them up to the axel? Im sure a single wouldnt be too hard...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you still have your stock shackles then I'd say put on the double aal and go back to your stock shackles if it is too high. I know you're saying,"then why did I buy the shackles?" Well, you should hold onto them in case you ever want more rear lift or if the springs sag again.

Good luck!

Alec,
Thats one of the best piece of advice ive heard... its a win-win situation.....thanks!

Also, in the other posts you kept saying you got a pro-comp kit i believe for $70 or $80?

-Who did you have to call for those?
-And im 99% sure but they should work on the leaf packs i have from a 2001 4 Door right?

The double ProComp kit is about $75 from 4wheelparts. And yes, they'll work.

Did you have to call or can they be found on their website somewhere? I just started searching for them but i only see the single leaves.

Call 'em.

OK... well i called and the guy said he's been working there 5 years and never even heard of a double AAL.......he game me pro-comps phone number to call and ask them...

Do you remember the part # so i can call back with that? I dont know what else do to.. he didnt even say he had them but they wouldnt fit my car... he just plain out said he never heard of them.

I can't find the part number.

If you can't find the double kit from ProComp, Superlift (I think) also makes one.

OK, i called and talked to a few seperate people from 4Wheel parts and cant find the pro-comp double leaf kits...

Where else could i try or where can i try to get the superlift ones?

Well I know RangerX got a double aal for the Explorer at 4WP!

I finally found some double AAL's from another site but the package was $130 and it was designed for F-150's or Bronco's up to '96. Did you use one of those or did they actually have ones for explorers?

Also, im gonna give pro-comp a call again and get a part number....but i lost their phone#.. do you still have it?

and did you tell them you wanted the double leaves for an explorer? (i have to tell them its for a 2001 because those are what my leaf packs are from, but if they say they only have ones that'll work for maybe a 96.. it'll still work for 2001 right?)

Thanks

I've learned that just because a guy is working behind the counter at 4WP (or anyplace!) doesn't mean he knows ANYTHING! Call back and tell him to look in the damn Pro-Comp catalog! Or if you're lucky, you'll get a different guy.:rolleyes:

The Superlift set I got was about $130, so try for the PC.
Also, I think mine was NOT listed as a set. I think it had separate #s, one for a long AAL, and one for a short AAL.

Ok... well my brother already ordered two sets of AAL's. One for his 96 Limited and the other set for mine (lol, he figured if he ordered them then id help him install his-- guess he had a good idea there..), anyway-- is it possible to stack these?

Wouldnt i get the same effect of a double AAL if i just bought another single AAL?

If not, since i already have the short AAL... could i get a long one as well and use both of those? (this way i could just tell the idiots "behind the counters"that i need a long AAL instead of a short one...

Either way im gonna be making a few calls tomorrow--raising hell if i have to...you guys have these leaves so they gotta be around somewhere!!!!

Thanks again guys

You can't stack 2 short aals, but as RangerX said you could add a long one to your short one later.

so in other words i can buy a long AAL and that installed with my short AAL will work just like a double leaf pack right? Or will the double pack perform better?

Also- i'd have to buy a new center bolt and possibly U-Bolts?

Most aals come with new centerbolts. You will not need new Ubolts.

And the double kits are just 2 single kits put together, just make sure you get both from the same manufacturer.

Thanks alec.
Ill make those calls tomorrow and if i get complete idiots on the phone again ill try calling summitracing (where my bro ordered the single leaves from) and seeing if they have the longer ProComp AAL's..if not ill have to call around to find those.

lol- this is a pain in the ass, why cant someone just have these that work

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FOUND PART NUMBER (INFO)

EXPLORER PRO COMP DOUBLE ADD-A-LEAF KIT:
Part #: EXP-13135

4wheelparts.com: $103+shipping ($26 to NJ)
Summitracing.com: $117+$7 handling... shippings free in continental US.

Figured i would post that incase anyone in the future needs it!

The part special ordered from summitracing today (Feb. 21, 2003) is going to arrive around the third week in march.

Alec, when you ordered yours from 4wheelparts.com did you have to wait a few weeks too?

Back