• Register Today It's free!

Rear axle size

Chrisman889

Reaction score
City, State
Gypsum, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer xlt
Anyone know the diameter of the rear axle in a stock 93 explorer. Axle code is D4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you mean the shaft size?

Stock, the shaft size is the same for all of the gear ratios on your generation X, and is 31 spline.

I still have a spare axle in the shed and I can throw a set of calipers on it BUT, at which point do you want the measurement? At the wheel bearing, at the splines, or somewhere else?

~Mark

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Ford-8_8-axle.shtml

Pretty much all the important dimensions are in there. The HOUSING diameter is 3.25", for the Explorer 8.8" (A Ranger is 3.00") The SPLINE end of the shaft is 1.32" in diameter. The BEARING end is for a 1559 bearing, which I have found listed with an inner bore size of 1.618 to 1.622

I want to weld an airbags mount onto the axle right above the leaf springs and need the diameter at that point in the axle. Sorry just don't have the right measurement tool.

I think I can get away with unbolting the rubber bumper from the frame and mounting the top of the airbag right there and then the bottom to a bracket I found that you weld on the axle.

i want to weld an airbags mount onto the axle right above the leaf springs and need the diameter at that point in the axle. Sorry just don't have the right measurement tool.

3.25"

^^^ What he said.. I just welded on spring perches not to long ago and they are indeed 3.25"

~Mark

Did you do a SOA? How much lift did that end up giving you?

Yup, did a SOA this last off-season.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391276

As to the lift, it's hard to say.. I did the SOA, and changed springs at the same time. From what I ascertain, it's about 5" of lift using stock springs with the overload removed.

Now I'm running worn out OME-36 springs (2" lift) with stock shackles. The spring rate is too soft so I am going to try the stock ones with war-153 shackles again AND then check to see if they are going inverted. My OME springs have been inverted many times but stock spring aren't going to put up with that like the OME springs did.

~Mark

I'd like to get those OME springs but so darn expensive. I think I read if you do a SOA you get about 5 inches of lift.

I'd like to get those OME springs but so darn expensive. I think I read if you do a SOA you get about 5 inches of lift.

The OME springs are actually pretty inexpensive. Custom springs from national or Deaver will be well over $500. The OME springs (CS042R), last time I checked, was < $400 for the pair.

As for the height.. You will get 5+" of lift. Measure from height of the axle tube + spring perch and you get > 4" . Now measure the thickness of your spring pack. That total combination of height from the perch, tube and spring pack is how much lift you get from moving the spring.

~Mark

Back