• Register Today It's free!

Rear Brake Dust Shields

Cougar54

Reaction score
City, State
MILFORD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Hello, I have a 2001 Explorer Sport that I am replacing the rear disc brakes. The rear dust shields are very rusty and should be replaced but I cannot find them at either the dealer or the aftermarket. They seem to be discontinued when I look them up at the dealer. I did find a place that is replacing everything including the caliper mount, the dust shield, and the full parking brake. The problem is that they are $90 per side and there is no problem with my caliper mounts or my parking brake. Has anyone found some aftermarket dust shields that can be lightly modified to work? Other suggestions? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suggest contacting your local auto salvage. Should be easy and inexpensive to obtain.

Good luck.

Hello, I have a 2001 Explorer Sport that I am replacing the rear disc brakes. The rear dust shields are very rusty and should be replaced but I cannot find them at either the dealer or the aftermarket. They seem to be discontinued when I look them up at the dealer. I did find a place that is replacing everything including the caliper mount, the dust shield, and the full parking brake. The problem is that they are $90 per side and there is no problem with my caliper mounts or my parking brake. Has anyone found some aftermarket dust shields that can be lightly modified to work? Other suggestions? Thanks.
They always came in a full assembly, even from Ford.

Autozone seems to have them, whole backing plate is around 90$ from ECGS, see fordpartsgiant and amazon too with search word ford 8.8" dust shield or backing plate.

I really think this would be a salvage item... probably cost about $20 for two rust free shields.

But interesting that they are available at AutoZone.

I could not find anyone who sold just the dust shield. It was a assembly from the dealer. I purchase that assembly. you get All the hardware and full assembly. You also need too pull the axles

Backing plates on rear discs are cosmetic. I'd leave it alone if it isn't interfering with anything.

Backing plates on rear discs are cosmetic. I'd leave it alone if it isn't interfering with anything.
The backing plate in the rear have 2 functions. 1. to hold and protect the parking shoes and it also holds the adjuster and 2. shields the rotor. My backing plates are just breaking apart.

Back