Is the consensus still that you don't need the front brake dust shields? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is the consensus still that you don't need the front brake dust shields?

sehaare

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98XLT 4WD SOHC,94XLT gone
The passenger side one is rusted to hell (why should it be different from everything else down there) and is being held on by one bolt. I searched and it looks like the off roaders have said to just take them off. My daughter is just going to drive this to and from work I doub't that it will see anything worst than a gravel drive.

Is the consensus that I should just take them off?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not that expensive I'd replace them

Not that expensive I'd replace them
I only looked one place and the were much more expensive than I expected. I'll look some more.
thanks

I'd take it off if it's barely held on. I had to remove mine when I did my big brake upgrade, and didn't put them back on.

BTW, these aren't hard to remove, just a couple of small 8mm bolts. Some later model cars are really hard to take off, some use large steel rivets which are hell to drill or grind off in a junkyard.

PICT1272.JPG

I'd take it off if it's barely held on. I had to remove mine when I did my big brake upgrade, and didn't put them back on.

BTW, these aren't hard to remove, just a couple of small 8mm bolts. Some later model cars are really hard to take off, some use large steel rivets which are hell to drill or grind off in a junkyard.

View attachment 340549
The passenger side on is hanging on by one bolt. I've been looking for replacement but not having much luck, so they might be coming off.

The passenger side on is hanging on by one bolt. I've been looking for replacement but not having much luck, so they might be coming off.
Found them in stock at at ford dealer 20 min away for $45 for the pair. For that price I'll be putting new ones on.

Very nice, and that's a bargain for parts this old.

Very nice, and that's a bargain for parts this old.
I replaced mine on my 95. I thought its was a little $$$ than that. I brought it from a ford dealer in Florida. Those 8 MM bolts where very hard to get off for me because rid off. I changed the hardware for the new shields. In the belt states you need them. It keep the road debris off the calipers and the rotors. I started fabricating replacement up too have as spare because, I had a difficult time finding replacements.

White Bear Lake Ford has them, for a '98 4WD they're $19 ea, then $13 S/H to my location. The part #s are on the ends of those links if anyone needs them to search elsewhere.

White Bear Lake Ford has them, for a '98 4WD they're $19 ea, then $13 S/H to my location. The part #s are on the ends of those links if anyone needs them to search elsewhere.

Thanks

Back