Rear breaks lock up

crispins

Reaction score
City, State
Pigeon Forge, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport trac
Hello everyone.

I have been reading this board for a few months now.

I just bought a 2001 Sport Trac.

It has a problem with the brakes.

The ABS light is lit on the dash.

Whenever applying the brakes semi-hard the rear brakes lock up.

It does this at any speed.

It is dangerous to drive like this.

I would prefer to repair the brakes but would also be interested in finding out if there is an easy way to disable the ABS.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the easiest way would be to unplug the rear sensors at the axle. This will throw a code on your truck that you won't be able to get rid of and it turns the ABS light on. This is what I did when I did a solid axle swap on my Sport Trac.

HOWEVER: I really suggest you don't do this as it is dangerous. Not to mention, this is how your speedometer gets its reading so that will not work. I'm not sure what else would stop functioning if you did this.

I think you should park the truck until the underlying problem can be diagnosed.

Thank you for your answer.

However, I do not think unplugging the rear sensor would be a good solution.

I thought I read that their is a fuse that I could remove to disable the ABS, is this true?

Besides going to the dealer, what would be the best way to fix this problem?

I do not drive this truck yet as I just bought it and am fixing its problems.

OK glad to hear you aren't forced to drive it. Pulling the fuse will do the same thing as pulling the sensor out as far as the ABS system goes. No ABS no speedometer. I don't have my manual here with me since I'm in a different truck so I can't confirm that or not for you.

Just from a quick brainstorm maybe the springs in the rear drums are worn out and causing the shoes to not disengage from the drums. One thing I can think of would be to take the drums apart and check things. While you're in there you can replace brake shoes. I'm not the best with brakes so hopefully [MENTION=106710]swshawaii[/MENTION] or [MENTION=136768]MidnightRebel07[/MENTION] can chime in for you.

You can do a couple things, pull the fuse, get the codes read at parts store to narrow down the cause. I would pull the rear drums and inspect the brake parts and hardware. The rear drums could be catching because they're adjusted too tight.

Sorry I'm not home now so I can't look at the manual to see which fuse it is. I'll be more help later when I get home.

Ditto above. ALWAYS start troubleshooting by scanning for trouble codes, warning lights or not. Transmissions and ABS systems usually require special readers, call around. Probably not a solution for your "locking up" issues, but the rear ABS sensor tends to get covered with metal particles and sludge over time. Remove with a 10mm or 3/8" wrench and wipe it down. I'm not familiar with the rear drum brakes used on the 2001-02 ST, but it probably wouldn't hurt to remove the drums for inspection if it's been a while. Parking brakes tend to be somewhat troublesome and seize on these vehicles if not used or periodically inspected.

Sport Trac ABS theories & myths
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333489&page=2

I do have a ODB II reader but I was under the impression that they do not read ABS codes.

I could be wrong about that.

I will scan the truck later and see what codes I get.

:)
Transmissions and ABS systems usually require special readers, call around.
As well you know, please be VERY careful if you need to drive the truck for diagnosing. GL

I do have a ODB II reader but I was under the impression that they do not read ABS codes.

I could be wrong about that.

I will scan the truck later and see what codes I get.

Some readers do and some don't. The ones that do usually cost a little bit more but not much. I got an Actron reader that does for about $200. Definitely one of the best purchases I've made.

Just as an fyi, my scan gauge II doesn't read the ABS codes and it also didn't pick up on a code that my ST was throwing from the trans, but my Actron reader read them.

I've found a lot of times just taking things apart and putting them back together again can fix an issue. Everything is always based on a good, clean connection.

Back