Godzilla2y

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer 4.0 4WD
Howdy ExplorerForum,

I noticed some time ago that my rear passenger-side cargo window was leaking after going through a car wash. I didn't think much of it at the time, but with as bad as the rain has been around here lately, I needed to finally get around to fixing it.

Yesterday I took the window out, resealed it with some butyl tape, and put it back in. While the window was out, I noticed the rubber for the window housing (the part of the window assembly you stick the butyl tape to) had broken down in the spot where it was leaking, to the point where there was no more "lip" at that spot. I thought the new butyl tape would solve that issue, but boy, was I wrong.

More rain today, and I ran out to check it while it was coming down to discover the same leak in the same spot.

My question: Should I attempt to double-up the butyl tape in that area for a thicker seal? Or will I need to replace the whole window assembly? What are my options?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Howdy ExplorerForum,

I noticed some time ago that my rear passenger-side cargo window was leaking after going through a car wash. I didn't think much of it at the time, but with as bad as the rain has been around here lately, I needed to finally get around to fixing it.

Yesterday I took the window out, resealed it with some butyl tape, and put it back in. While the window was out, I noticed the rubber for the window housing (the part of the window assembly you stick the butyl tape to) had broken down in the spot where it was leaking, to the point where there was no more "lip" at that spot. I thought the new butyl tape would solve that issue, but boy, was I wrong.

More rain today, and I ran out to check it while it was coming down to discover the same leak in the same spot.

My question: Should I attempt to double-up the butyl tape in that area for a thicker seal? Or will I need to replace the whole window assembly? What are my options?
JY near you? i suppose you could for now double up ;) but at some point i would replace w JY seal (dontt think you can get new)

You're right about not being able to get them new. They were superseded in the Ford catalog but never replaced with anything (or, if they were, the superseded parts are long gone now).

A JY part would be just as old, though, and I'd have to worry about the same thing.

You're right about not being able to get them new. They were superseded in the Ford catalog but never replaced with anything (or, if they were, the superseded parts are long gone now).

A JY part would be just as old, though, and I'd have to worry about the same thing.
true, but it would last a bit more, but thats the best weve got until we run out of JY candidates

JB Weld that area. Build it back up. Then reseal.
Or JY window.

You can adjust the bottom latch for the cargo glass, which is located on the hatch (Two 8 mm bolts, as I recall), to pull the lower part of the window further in toward the old seal.

Might help. Good luck.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I ripped the window out again today, cleaned up the butyl tape, and put more back down. The tape that I have was wider than the original stuff, so I folded it over this time around to increase the thickness all around. Stuck it back in, lost a nut when I tried to put it on, then blasted it with a garden hose right at that top seam to see if it leaked. We're dry so far!

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I ripped the window out again today, cleaned up the butyl tape, and put more back down. The tape that I have was wider than the original stuff, so I folded it over this time around to increase the thickness all around. Stuck it back in, lost a nut when I tried to put it on, then blasted it with a garden hose right at that top seam to see if it leaked. We're dry so far!
congrats! hope it stays that way!

Every X I had needed to be re-sealed. Great Ford design!

The original seals for those wasn't very good, it likely gets hard with age and loses the bond at some place.

I wouldn't use any low cost sealant materiel, such as butyl tape. I suggest a 3M product which is made for sealing glass, and it comes in a caulk sized tube. My old 93 truck when I reconstructed it, the quarter glass was R&R'd. We used a tube of the 3M sealant for both, and that was 2001. I used that body to reconstruct my 99 Limited, and those are the only windows that haven't leaked, of my four 2nd gens. I have used RTV Black on the other six quarter glass windows, I smear a thin line of it along the top edge of the rubber where it meets the paint. That works too, but you can see the Ultra Black, and most people wouldn't like that long term.

Back