Leaking Cargo Window??

willindsay

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Sevierville,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
Today I was in the process of building my cargo box when I took a break to pic my sis up from school. It was pouring out side. Well once I got back I noticed that the Drivers rear cargo window was leaking I put a hose to it to see where exactly it was coming from and then sealed it up with clear RTV silicone.

Will this hold?? If it won't what will fix the problem??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It might work for awhile as a temporary repair, but RTV silicone isn't the correct way to seal it up, and the leak will still persist since the leak will allow water in from anywhere around the window, usually.

The correct way to fix this is to use new 3M butyl rubber tape, which is what seals the window from the factory. The 1/4 inch size is what you need, it's about $12-15 for a roll at the parts store, or body shop, though usually you'll have to order it in, and most places only stock the 3/8 inch size, which is too thick and will have the side windows sticking out from the body. You will also want to use the 3M adhesion primer (~$25 for a 125ml size) as well, since it lets the butyl seal adhere to the window and the body better, making for a longer lasting seal so you won't be doing this again in a few years.
Trouble is, the adhesion primer can be hard to come by. I was able to order in the tape and the primer at CarQuest for an extremely reasonable price over what a body shop that carried 3M prodicts wanted.

Once you have the materials, you'll need to remove the interior panel, so you can get to the nuts holding the window in. Remove the nuts, and slowly, gently push out the window, hopefully with someone else outside the vehicle to catch it once it pops loose. You'll want to use 3M adhesive remover to clean up the residue from the old seal on the window and the vehicle, making note of how the old seal was located around the window. Once it's clean and dry, apply the primer, let it dry, then put the rubber seal on the window as close as you can match the original path, take it to the vehicle, line up the mounting studs, and do your best to stick it on in one motion. Once it's stuck, it's tuck, and if you have it crooked or one corner with a stud not fully inserted, it will be a struggle to free it up.

You get enough butyl tape in a roll to do both windows, so if you have the time, you could do both rear windows one after the other, to prevent the other side leaking, which it will eventually do if one side had it happen.

I would suggest doing this ASAP, I didn't find out until too late that the window was the cause of the leak, and it eventually leaked long enough that it soaked the under carpet insulation, and pooled in the rear compartments, rusting the rear floor to the point I had to cut and weld in new metal behind the left fenderwell.

I would suggest pulling the rear carpet and floor panels out, in case they absorbed water at some point, and letting them air dry on a sunny day, or even indoors for a few days to allow them to fully dry. It will make it easier to remove the rear interior panels anyway.

Some places will tell you to just use urethane adhesive that comes in a tube. It IS simpler, you just put the tube in a caulk gun, stick it on either surface, and it's sealed. Forever. The problem is, the window will never come off ever again, so repairing a craked window or any body work on the rear panel will be a heck of a job. If you take it to a glass shop and have them do it, they will likely use urethane adhesive, and charge you ~$100 a side to do it.

The nuts that Anime mentioned have a habit of becoming loose over time. You might want to try and tighten them and see if that fixes the problem before you spend a bunch of money that you may not need to.

I had a similar problem on our 94 when my wife and I bought it. 5 or 6 of those nuts weren't even finger tight, but I went around with a 10mm socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet and tightened all the nuts up and the windows sealed just fine after that.

Is there a thread with pics for removing the panels and stuff in the trunk?

My sub thread will get you in there...

CLICK ME

The nuts that Anime mentioned have a habit of becoming loose over time. You might want to try and tighten them and see if that fixes the problem before you spend a bunch of money that you may not need to.

I had a similar problem on our 94 when my wife and I bought it. 5 or 6 of those nuts weren't even finger tight, but I went around with a 10mm socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet and tightened all the nuts up and the windows sealed just fine after that.

I read somewhere on here that the drivers side is notorious for leaking. Mine was leaking real bad...smelled musty.

One day I just pulled up the panel and used a small box wrench and tightened them up as best as I could without totally removing the panel. That fixed it for me.

I read somewhere on here that the drivers side is notorious for leaking. Mine was leaking real bad...smelled musty.

One day I just pulled up the panel and used a small box wrench and tightened them up as best as I could without totally removing the panel. That fixed it for me.

Ya I tried that but it still leaked so in the next couple weeks I'm gonna fix mine before we start getting snow.

It's funny, mine just started doing this as well. Either that or I never noticed it until this morning. I went around and tightened the nuts, then hit it with the hose again. Seems to still be leaking, but we'll see. Thanks for the good info in this thread.

Hey I'm having a hard time finding this stuff. I went to both autozone and home depot but couldn't find anything that I thought fit the description provided here. I looked around and found this on amazon, but I wanted to make sure it's the right stuff before I make the purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-8612-Windo-Weld-Ribbon-Sealer/dp/B000CQ4AOO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_3

Is that what I need?

Yes and no. From my understanding it needs to be the 1/4" size. 3/8" is to large and will make the window stick out. Napa caries it call them they might have to order it though.

i could of sworn windows are polyurethane in. not 3m tape.

Yes and no. From my understanding it needs to be the 1/4" size. 3/8" is to large and will make the window stick out. Napa caries it call them they might have to order it though.

I saw a few threads that say 1/4" and a few that say 3/8". The people who have used 3/8" report that the window sticks out for a bit, but eventually settles. The theory is that the 1/4" stuff settles as well, and could potentially leave gaps.

Not sure which way I'll go with it, but I just wanted to make sure it's the correct material.

Thanks for confirming!

I finally properly fixed the leaky drivers side cargo window last Friday.

Very simple process Just remove all the push pins and some Phillips screws and you have access to the window which is held in with 10 9mm nuts. I left the top and bottom center ones threaded on enough so I could push the window to get the old gasket to let go without it dropping and shattering. Then I just scrapped the old gasket off and cleaned the whole area with Purple Power and a rag.

Then just applied the new 5/16" Butyl(since there was no clear answer whether to use 1/4" or 3/8" I compromised) to the window frame and pressed the window in and went around 3-4 times gradually tightening all the bolts.

Window sticks out a tad bit further but it's raining outside right now and there's none getting inside my truck.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMDA3LTAwMDMxLmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMDA3LTAwMDMwLmpwZw.jpg

Only pics I took.

Where did you get the 5/16" butyl? I went around to hardware stores and auto stores in my area but no one knew what I was talking about. I need to do this very badly as my windows leak like crazy and my car is starting to smell like ass.

Where did you get the 5/16" butyl? I went around to hardware stores and auto stores in my area but no one knew what I was talking about. I need to do this very badly as my windows leak like crazy and my car is starting to smell like ass.

Napa. I ordered it online to pick up in store but the one on their site was dicontinued so they got me the same stuff in a better brand for the same price.

Here's all the sizes Napa has.

I will have to say that I did this not long ago....some moron, who was parked next to me in a gravel parking lot, left in a bit of a hurry....had a couple of nice holes in the window when I came out later. Bought a window out of a junkyard for $75 and used the 3/8 ribbon sealer..the rubber piece around the window still sits about a 1/16" or less off the body and it has been about a year now. No issues of a leak though.

I did this to my truck a couple weeks ago, and today was the first major downpour rainstorm we've had since and water is still pouring in through that window :mad: even though I checked it with the hose after I put it back on and it was sealed

I'm not sure what I did wrong, I guess i'm guess i'm gonna try tightening the bolts to see if that helps since the window is sticking out a bit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need to tighten mine up as well. Driver side leaks, not really bad, but it leaks. My sun roof just drinks water, if its coming down hard outside, every time I slow down the water of the roof is pushed forward and into the path of the sun roof, then I get wet :(

Back