• Register Today It's free!

Rear diff on a 05 Sport Trac XLT

DoItBig

Reaction score
City, State
Enterprise, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 SportTrac XLT 2WD 4.0
I've been wanting to suprise my pop with a locking rear diff since his truck at work (2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4) has one.

I've been doing a lot of research and needing 4WD for much of the things he does is overrated, he does off roading, just not anything that you'd need full blown 4WD. I have found out that he does need a locking rear diff. Personal experience. I tried driving up a good sized hill, dropped it into 2nd for more torque before the climb, and she started climbing. Halfway there she stalls (stopped moving, not turned off) and the rear right wheel starts spinning. (i knew this because a. you heard the obligatory whine of lost traction b. dirt was begining to fling from that side) Just great. So i back down and try again from a different angle, and she does the same. Well having that happening to me was enough to worry about my dad. Hes an agressive pedaler and will give the engine just a bit too much gas on a grade, he also hates it when i drop the truck into second for more torque. He claims "you'll wear out the transmission faster" So as a general catchall I want to lower his rear end ratio and put an auburn ected on it.

To do this, being a big noob at exploders technical specifications, I need to know how/or what differential is on the rear end of my Sport trac. And what is the stock ratio.

Thanks everybody for all your help.

I've got Ford OEM Trac Locks on sale right now for 190 if that would interest you.

Back