• Register Today It's free!

rear diff whining?!?!

redaxer

Reaction score
City, State
sydney, australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer xlt,
ok so i bought my explorer back in feb and it needed a new transmission in it (136,000km/86,000miles) after installing it (5days ago) i am now driving it everyday but after 80km/h i get a loud whining/rubbling sound from the rear diff, the 4x4 modual is also playing up as i dont have 4x4 low, high or auto

i have also just put new 265-75-16 mud terrains on it, but it cant be those because the whine was there before hand.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

update*
i have just changed the oil in the rear diff with 75w/140 and friction modifier, this has quietened down the diff at low speeds (0-65kmh) but at 70+kmh it whines like it did before.

what do i do now as i have a massive offroad trip for 2weeks end of november? :(

update*
i have just changed the oil in the rear diff with 75w/140 and friction modifier, this has quietened down the diff at low speeds (0-65kmh) but at 70+kmh it whines like it did before.

what do i do now as i have a massive offroad trip for 2weeks end of november? :(

Common problem. Likely your carrier bearings are going bad, which will require the diff to be rebuilt with new bearings, you might as well get new seals also. for now you might as well just drive it and save up for a diff rebuild.

thanks ron, i think i might re-gear it with 4:10's while its out, ill use your "how to re-gearing" :)

hey ron, would you have any idea where i could possibly get the parts to rebuild my diff? :) thanks

If you have 4wd and re gear the rear then you wll have to re-gear the front diff too.
If were stateside Tousley Ford can sell you parts to rebuild. Actually the Ford Racing Parts are less expensive than the OEM parts. Prices may vary but I priced out the parts to rebuild the rear end in my 2004 earlier this summer based on my Ex having issues described in TSB 06-02-16 and TSB 05-23-3. Have not done it yet.

$126.50 for the ring & pinion
$64.90 for clutch packs
$74.80 for the bearing set
$32.96 for a pair of Ford OEM side bearing cups. The ones in the kit do not always work in the Explorer rear ends, but is still well worth the $74. If you did not need the cups, of course they can be returned.
$56.90 for a pair of half shaft seals (OEM)

If you wanted to skip rebuild you can get a complete rear center section diff 8.8/3.73 posi - $ 1195. plus core $ 300.

Ford Part Number from a different vendor.
9L3Z*4630*A BEARING $44.29 C7AZ*4628*A CUP $12.08 BR3Z*4676*A SEAL $13.68 B7A*4621*A BEARING $15.38 B7A*4616*A CUP $10.87 F3LZ*4222*AA CUP $16.48 x2 XW4Z*4221*AA BEARING $15.38 x2 D9AZ*4222*A CUP $11.62 6L1Z*4947*B KIT $120.99 1L2Z*4B422*BA CIRCLIP $3.58 x2

thank you very much, i live in sydney Australia so anything i buy i wont be able to return it, aha oh well, i have the d4 3.73 diff and the 7 pin trailer light, i might buy all the parts and rebuild my self or my mechanic as im a university student and dont have much time :(,

thank you very much though for the prices :)

Where abouts in Sideney are you?

I'm out near Liverpool have some sort of whine noise but I think it's gearbox related

Have you checked your rear wheel bearings? That is also a common failure point on 3rd gen Explorers. Jack the rear wheels off the ground and check for ANY play in the wheel/hub. If there is any at all, the bearing/hub is bad. Don't let that go, as a complete failure will cause the wheel to fall off!

Also, on rebuilding the diff, check before you start the job. I'm pretty sure that the aluminum housing on the IRS rear in these requires special tools, such as a unique spreader tool, to remove and install the carrier from the housing. I believe the housing is "undersized", due to it being aluminum, so you can't properly get it out, or back in, without "spreading" the caps slightly.

Also, a previous poster mentioned something about the bearing "cups" not always fitting, and just not using them. Wrong! If they don't fit, you have the wrong part, or you're doing it wrong, or something is broken/bent,etc... NEVER install new bearings in used races (the proper term for the bearing "cup"). They form a "matched" wear pattern over time and should replaced as set.

If you have never done this before, I wouldn't try your first rebuild on this rear, as it seems to be particularly sensitive to precise correct setup of the clearances. Either buy a complete unit, or have it professionally re-built, by a shop with experience with this particular rear. Ask them about setting the clearances, backlash, tooth pattern,etc... If they don't know what you are asking, or say that they don't bother doing all that,etc... then find another shop.

Also, a previous poster mentioned something about the bearing "cups" not always fitting, and just not using them. Wrong! If they don't fit, you have the wrong part, or you're doing it wrong, or something is broken/bent,etc... NEVER install new bearings in used races (the proper term for the bearing "cup"). They form a "matched" wear pattern over time and should replaced as set.
thanks for pointing that out. Let me clarify the post. I was not suggesting reuse used parts. The message I was trying to convey is sometimes the bearings in the m-4210-b kit don't fit the Ex so the suggestion was to order Ford OEM side bearing cups in addition to the ones that come with the rebuild kit. The m-4210-b or m-4210b2 is kit for 8.8 IRS mostly directed at mustang guys, but works on all ford 8.8 IRS which includes the Ex. Buying the ford racing kit is less expensive than buying the OEM parts from the dealer as the kit parts are ford branded parts too. In fact the dealers will sell the m-4210-b or b2 kits directly. The kits -b & -b2 are the same except for the b2 kit has the newer style pinion bearings( known as the "high torque" bearings).

The kit Kit includes a new 8.8" ring and pinion or differential: pinion and carrier shims, crush sleeve, pinion seal, pinion nut, ring gear bolts, high-torque pinion bearing, carrier bearings and cover gasket. All the components in the kit fit the EX. However, sometimes the bearing cups in the kit do not fit the do not always work in the Explorer rear ends, but is still well worth the $74. The OEM bearing cups are only $32.00. Purchase at the same time as the kit and you are covered no matter what.

Where abouts in Sideney are you?

I'm out near Liverpool have some sort of whine noise but I think it's gearbox related

im out western sydney, blacktown :), you cant miss me i have bedliner trimming on the exterior and bfg km2 mud terrains :)

Have you checked your rear wheel bearings? That is also a common failure point on 3rd gen Explorers. Jack the rear wheels off the ground and check for ANY play in the wheel/hub. If there is any at all, the bearing/hub is bad. Don't let that go, as a complete failure will cause the wheel to fall off!

Also, on rebuilding the diff, check before you start the job. I'm pretty sure that the aluminum housing on the IRS rear in these requires special tools, such as a unique spreader tool, to remove and install the carrier from the housing. I believe the housing is "undersized", due to it being aluminum, so you can't properly get it out, or back in, without "spreading" the caps slightly.

If you have never done this before, I wouldn't try your first rebuild on this rear, as it seems to be particularly sensitive to precise correct setup of the clearances. Either buy a complete unit, or have it professionally re-built, by a shop with experience with this particular rear. Ask them about setting the clearances, backlash, tooth pattern,etc... If they don't know what you are asking, or say that they don't bother doing all that,etc... then find another shop.

thanks for the info, im looking for the parts now to rebuild, i have checked the wheel bearings when i got new tires about 4 days ago, they seem to be ok at the moment :), as for the rebuild im not looking forward to it, because im a student i dont have that much money but i have too do what i have to do :(

im out western sydney, blacktown :), you cant miss me i have bedliner trimming on the exterior and bfg km2 mud terrains :)

Sounds good, Where's the photo?

902_zps8cbd3efc.jpg

892_zps20943049.jpg

901_zpsa6e3b71f.jpg

906_zps4f6c4f0a.jpg

905_zpsa1bdbd00.jpg

903_zps5fd793cd.jpg

i should do a building thread of this car :)
i have a brand new sleeved performance transmission ($3500)
new tires
new radio
new speakers (pioneer 6x9's)
and bedliner trimmings painted by me :)

If you have 4wd and re gear the rear then you If you wanted to skip rebuild you can get a complete rear center section diff 8.8/3.73 posi - $ 1195. plus core $ 300.

Where can you get the rebuilt rear end from?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back