• Register Today It's free!

Rear Differential Noise

Tony@MTVA

Reaction score
City, State
Millers Tavern, Va.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer / EB
I found the following post and TSB on the forum. I am having the exact same problem however my vehicles is a 2007 Ford Explorer EB - V/6. The TSB goes through year model 2005. I called the dealership to inquire about the clutch pack which is what the TBS indicated would solve the problem only to find the parts department said my 2007 Explorer did not have Clutch packs. Can anyone help with this or point me in the right direction. I have already had the fluid changed and friction additive put in but that did not resolve the problem.

Here is the post I mention above:

TSB 04-24-20
· LIMITED SLIP AXLE CHATTER, SHUDDER, BINDING SENSATION, OR VIBRATION DURING LOW SPEED TURNING MANEUVERS
FORD:
2002-2005 Crown Victoria, Mustang, Explorer
2003-2005 Expedition
2004-2005 F-150LINCOLN:
2002-2005 Town Car
2003-2005 NavigatorMERCURY:
2002-2005 Grand Marquis, Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 04-17-5 to update the model year and vehicle line coverage. ISSUE:

Some 2003-2005 Expedition/Navigator, 2004-2005 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 9.75" or 8.8" limited slip rear axle, and 2002-2005 Explorer 4dr, Mountaineer, Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, Town Car, and Mustang vehicles equipped with 8.8" limited slip rear axle, may exhibit a chatter, shudder, a binding sensation, or a vibration during low speed turns. On 4x4 vehicles, the sensation may appear to be originating from the front axle or the steering gear.

The 2007 Explorer (actually 2006 through 2010) did not come with a limited slip differential nor was it even offered as an option That TSB is in no way applicable to your Explorer.
You shouldn't have put the additive in your fluid but I doubt that is your problem at this point.

The 2007 Explorer (actually 2006 through 2010) did not come with a limited slip differential nor was it even offered as an option That TSB is in no way applicable to your Explorer.
You shouldn't have put the additive in your fluid but I doubt that is your problem at this point.

Well, that would explain why it does not have clutch pack, However I was before the fluid and additive change and still am exhibiting the exact same symptoms as described in my original post above. It basically acts as if it it detecting wheel slippage and the 4 wheel auto is engaging. It is only happening on low speed turns such as in a parking lot. Any ideas on what may be causing this?

I wish i had a simple answer but I dont know. Just wanted you to know they weren't lying to you.

Back