• Register Today It's free!

Limited-Slip Clutch Issues

jasperboy

Reaction score
City, State
Wadsworth, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS
My 2003 XLS with 3.73 LS is experiencing a slight shudder during low speed turns. I've been looking for a TSB or some other information, and ran across this: "Clutch (2002, 2003, 2004): A hopping or binding sensation from the rear axle may be caused by binding in the limited-slip clutch packs; this requires replacing the clutch packs with revised units and using reformulated gear lube." The vehicle has 46K, and was serviced by a Ford Dealer from day 1. Any thoughts, any recourse? The quote for a new clutch pack was $800-$1000.:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try changing the differential's fluid and adding a bottle of 'Friction Modifier'. Note that most synthetic gear oils already have this additive.

tried that

I had the diff serviced 2K ago, about 2 weeks for me, and it might be a little better, but not much. Back at the dealer and waiting for a call, just gonna be disappointed if it is something expensive. This thing was driven 8K a year by my wife, 15 miles round trip to school, and the grocery store, etc... Never really driven hard, only off road was when she backed into the yard. Now I'm using it 1K a week for business, and I gotta get it fixed before something bad happens. Just wondering if I have any recourse with Ford?

Unfortunately, the early third generation Explorers (2002+) does have major problems with its rear differential/axle. So I'm pretty sure its not really your fault or your wife's fault, the independent rear axle was poorly designed and executed off the bat.

$900 repair estimate

Well I just gave the dealer the okey to do a $900 clutch pack replacement. They called to say that after checking the diff fluid, and adding some synthetic addative, no improvement was noticed. I just hope this clutch lasts longer than 46K. The thing that bums me out the most is that I've been noticing the shudder since about 30K, both times I had the dealer "check" it under warranty, they couldn't find anything. Now I'm at a new dealer, so that is all for nothing. I swear next time I will look at the Jap stuff!

Clutch plates in limited slip rear axle

To everyone with a limited slip rear axle in a Ford Ranger or Explorer around a 2003 model, be prepared to dump between 500 to 1000 bucks into the rear end. I've had my '03 Ranger about 4 years and it had only 33,000 miles when I got it. It now has 100,000 and I just had the rear end fixed for the 2nd time. Ford really messed up with this rear end. From what the mechanic told me, this rear end does not have the proper spring set up to hold the clutch plates in the right position. I'll admit the first time my rear end tore up it was partially my own fault. A 2wd Ranger wasn't meant for the torture I put it through but it still shouldn't have broken the teeth off the spyder gears. The clutch plates were nearly nonexistent when the mechanic tore apart the rear end. I got new gears and clutch plates installed for about $500. Just recently, less then 10,000 miles from the last breakdown, my truck began knocking again like I read in this forum. This time I had been driving it right, taking it easy, and it still broke on me. Well this time the mechanic said it was no use trying to fix the rear end so he got me a normal rear end for my truck and trashed the limited slip rear axle. As sick as I am about losing my mobility, at least this rear end shouldn't break anytime soon. My advice, if you want mobility, stick to a 4wd and stay away from this particular rear end.

To everyone with a limited slip rear axle in a Ford Ranger or Explorer around a 2003 model, be prepared to dump between 500 to 1000 bucks into the rear end. I've had my '03 Ranger about 4 years and it had only 33,000 miles when I got it. It now has 100,000 and I just had the rear end fixed for the 2nd time. Ford really messed up with this rear end. From what the mechanic told me, this rear end does not have the proper spring set up to hold the clutch plates in the right position. I'll admit the first time my rear end tore up it was partially my own fault. A 2wd Ranger wasn't meant for the torture I put it through but it still shouldn't have broken the teeth off the spyder gears. The clutch plates were nearly nonexistent when the mechanic tore apart the rear end. I got new gears and clutch plates installed for about $500. Just recently, less then 10,000 miles from the last breakdown, my truck began knocking again like I read in this forum. This time I had been driving it right, taking it easy, and it still broke on me. Well this time the mechanic said it was no use trying to fix the rear end so he got me a normal rear end for my truck and trashed the limited slip rear axle. As sick as I am about losing my mobility, at least this rear end shouldn't break anytime soon. My advice, if you want mobility, stick to a 4wd and stay away from this particular rear end.

Is this only for LS Axles mainly?

Uh, the ranger rear end and the explorers rear end are different. I believe the same ring gear size but different cases. This is where the problem lies. I have heard that the aluminum IRS housings warp. I had to have my diff rebuilt completely at 75,000 miles.

well the reason i ask is becasue i dont have LS so i was hoping that there werent as many problems/issues with my setup, i have 5r55w tranny 3.55 axles

I had my clutch pack done under warranty at 30k miles.
50k miles- Ring and pinion TSB.
60k left rear bearing
70k time for the right one to be replaced.

Back