• Register Today It's free!

Rear Differential Trouble

rcwhite44

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4.0 L - 6Cyl and just had the rear differential rebuilt and a new right rear axle, too. Basically redid the whole thing except for the casing. Took it in for the next oil change and was told the right rear axle was slinging grease and that my diff fluid was very dark. Explained what work was just done and they flushed and replaced the diff fluid and the boot and clamp on the axle. They said the differential was probably just going through breaking in period.

Took it in for the next oil change and was told the right rear axle and no grease in it and that my diff fluid was very dark. Showed the the work history and they replaced the axle grease, clamp and boot and flushed the diff and replaced the fluid. Showed me a sample of the diff fluid very dark but did not appear to have metal shaving, which they said was a good sign, but it did smell kinda burnt, which they did not seem worried about.

Is it normal to have these kinds of problems after a rebuild like this? I know nothing about cars and am just looking for some input. Thanks.

It could be that they are taking you for a ride and sucking as much $$$ as they can from you

The dark fluid could be the new clutch packs (if limited slip) breaking in on the turns. The grease boot, that is normal for high mile axle shafts. The boot tears, gears leaves, and then the joints fail.

The axle was brand new and this is the second boot they have replaced. This time they said the axle was completely dry of grease. Worried the lack of grease caused the axle to over heat and may have caused damage to the differential. Not sure if that is even possible but once you get to reading on the web all kinds of things pop into your head.

It is a limited slip diff but they have now changed the fluid twice since the original rebuild.

Back