Rear doors, rear hatch and right rear fender rusting. I need advice. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear doors, rear hatch and right rear fender rusting. I need advice.

2kv8

Reaction score
City, State
Belmont, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT V-8
Here in WV the road salt can get pretty bad. And now my rear doors (passenger side is alot worse than the driver side), rear hatch and right rear fender are rusting. The fender is not bad yet. A spot about the size of a pea is starting to bubble up the paint. My question is I have a little over 126K on the Explorer. And I am not sure how much life is left in it. And I do not abuse this thing at all. Hell it's never been off road since I have owned it. I got an estimate of about $1900 to have the rust repaired but that doesn't include replacement rear doors and hatch and the body shop guy can't guarantee that it won't come back . The Explorer books for about $5300 private party value now. I don't want to get rid of it. I love the space and not to mention the sound of the 5.0.

Is it worth the money to get it repaired? I have been to a few local junkyards and found some rear doors but no hatch. The problem I am running in to is the right rear door is extremely bad and no junkyard has one in good shape. I have been using POR 15 on them. It has slowed it down dramatically but not completely stopped it. My dad told me that if I sell the X, whatever I could get out of it I could buy his 00 Ranger extended cab 4.0 ohv, 4x4, offroad package and only 45K on it. This truck has never seen the snow. But I hate to sell the X.

I would appreciate any advice I could get.

Back