• Register Today It's free!

Rear End sliding in snow and rain

lorieann1224

Reaction score
City, State
Harrington, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer 4WD
The rear end of my car slides in any speed during rain and snow. I had the recalls completed for the rear toe link and Wheel Hub Bearing assemblies prior to winter. I have never driven studded snow tires on any vehicle but only good all season radials. I actually had to have studded tires put on this vehicle and saw only a slightly better improvement. This thing drives like a front end drive pickup. Even after I switch it into snow mode it is horrible. My Lincoln MKX drove like a champ and never had any issues in any weather. What is wrong with this vehicle and what can I do to improve driving performance in in-climate weather??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heh, this time peterk9 can't tell you to put snowtires on.
In previous threads
the only remedy found was a full alignment. This usually gets the tires back in line and prevents the rear end from trying to go to the front. You may have to have several different shops do an alignment until one of them gets it right.
Fritz

Heh, this time peterk9 can't tell you to put snowtires on.
In previous threads
the only remedy found was a full alignment. This usually gets the tires back in line and prevents the rear end from trying to go to the front. You may have to have several different shops do an alignment until one of them gets it right.
Fritz
The dealership claims they did this after the completed the recalls. Sadly I have had mechanical issues with this vehicle within 2 days of purchase and this seems to be one more thing I have to put on the list. Thank you for your input.

One issue some people have had with the toe link replacement was that it changes how an alignment is done and if the nut (or was it bolt, or both...) that sets alignment is not tightened down enough, it can slip out of alignment.

The dealership claims they did this after the completed the recalls. Sadly I have had mechanical issues with this vehicle within 2 days of purchase and this seems to be one more thing I have to put on the list. Thank you for your input.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Not very many owners have found the need to use studded tires. Is this issue a recent development or have you always had it?
I always use dedicated winter tires when the season calls for them and have never experienced this "rear-end sway" on any of them.
If it does this in the rain then I would guess that the issue isn't with the tires.
There are several that had it and resolved it by having a 4-wheel alignment done. That's where I would start.

Peter

Are you saying the rear end is swaying or sliding? This is two different things. Swaying would mean there is a broken/defective suspension component or the vehicle is out of alignment. Sliding would indicate poor tread tires, icy road conditions, too much application of throttle, or a brake issue. I actually find it hard to kick the rear end out on these Explorers. With limited torque to the rear and with stability control it tames it pretty quick. Makes it hard in the winter to slide around turns without the vehicle cutting throttle and activating one or more brakes.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Not very many owners have found the need to use studded tires. Is this issue a recent development or have you always had it?
I always use dedicated winter tires when the season calls for them and have never experienced this "rear-end sway" on any of them.
If it does this in the rain then I would guess that the issue isn't with the tires.
There are several that had it and resolved it by having a 4-wheel alignment done. That's where I would start.

Peter
I have never used studded snow tires on any vehicle, this is the first vehicle that I have that I purchased a set for. The wheel alignment was done days after the purchase. It is only during inclement weather that I have had an issue. It is only in the rear of the vehicle that it slides, almost like I was driving a front wheel truck with an empty bed. This is the only reason I ended up purchasing studs.

Back