• Register Today It's free!

Rear Hatch Slam Latch

Paintjar

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer 4wd XLT
99 XLT rear hatch needs to be slammed to get the door ajar light to go out. I found on the right side there is a plastic sleeve missing on the part the latch grabs. The left side is still there, but getting bad. I do not see how to replace these. I am thinking, not good, remove the left side to make them equal might help the slamming thing. I can not find anything to substitute for this plastic. Can I make some kinda of DIY fix? Trying not to use the hatch until I can figure something out. I can do without the hatch and use the window in the back, but the wife needs this for the groceries, got to have them. She is just ignoring the door ajar light because of the force on the hatch. So when I use it the light is on so I have to get out and slam. Thanks for any suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was able to find replacement sleeves in the "HELP" section at local auto parts stores. Mine is a 97'. That was 5 years ago and they are still holding up, doors close as good as a new car.

The Rear ones for the hatch I had to modify to fit, cant remember what ones they where thou.

The four pack assortment in the HELP section work on the hatch strikers. Two are for either an older Ford door, or a GM vehicle. But the other two do match the hatch bushing. They are not as good as OEM though. My 98 Explorer has had an antenna on the hatch, and one hinge is a little loose. So it wears out the one striker bushing occasionally. I used my old Mercury bushings which were original, and those are still holding up so far. I need to replace the one hinge, or both some day.

So check how the hinges look, does the hatch move at all in any direction when it's open? The hinges need to be nice and tight, and the latches engage smoothly without diverting to the side etc, when you close it gently.

My Mercury closes beautifully, with 206k miles on it. It's obviously never been wrecked in the back, and was adjusted right when assembled. My 98 Explorer needs some more adjusting, and the new hinge.

In my experience it's easier to replace the striker on each side. Yeah little more $. I tried the bushings & they just didn't work well for me.

Good stuff. Thanks ALL!

Back