Rear inner tire wear

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
I believe I may have a bent axle, I got some opinions and I'm not sure what to do. In about 8K miles I wore down the sides of two rear tires to the tread (there is 6/32 on the good side). They are older LTX M/S. A tire place claims I have a bent axle (but they aren't sure). They advised against buying $800 worth of tires until its figured out.

The alignment machine can't check camber on the rear axle (obviously unadjustable). I asked to set the machine for a 02 ex with an IRS but they said they cant(or wouldnt do it). The toe in the front is a hair off spec, but that don't really affect rear camber wear.

We checked rear bearings, there is the tiniest (probably almost none) play. The tech told me to replace the inner axles and bearings(at that point he said you are probably better off doing it on your own because of the cost). He also said the axle body may be bent. He also said to consider a new axle housing too, he said he cant be sure.

My ex was hit on the passenger side, there is a bit of damage in the rear (bumper frame rail a bit bent), and another tech said that could contribute (I kind of disagree). I guess a body shop would be the next step, but the cost would probably be more than the rig is worth.

Any ideas ? Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I slammed into a center divider wall in PA and bent my inner and outer tie rods, obiterated a unit bearing and a wheel... but my rear axle was fine, straight and true as the day it was built

replace your shocks, I had uneven tire wear when I had bad shocks

I believe I may have a bent axle, I got some opinions and I'm not sure what to do. In about 8K miles I wore down the sides of two rear tires to the tread (there is 6/32 on the good side). They are older LTX M/S. A tire place claims I have a bent axle (but they aren't sure). They advised against buying $800 worth of tires until its figured out.

The alignment machine can't check camber on the rear axle (obviously unadjustable). I asked to set the machine for a 02 ex with an IRS but they said they cant(or wouldnt do it). The toe in the front is a hair off spec, but that don't really affect rear camber wear.

We checked rear bearings, there is the tiniest (probably almost none) play. The tech told me to replace the inner axles and bearings(at that point he said you are probably better off doing it on your own because of the cost). He also said the axle body may be bent. He also said to consider a new axle housing too, he said he cant be sure.

My ex was hit on the passenger side, there is a bit of damage in the rear (bumper frame rail a bit bent), and another tech said that could contribute (I kind of disagree). I guess a body shop would be the next step, but the cost would probably be more than the rig is worth.

Any ideas ? Thanks guys.
The only way the rear tires can wear on the inside of a vehicle with a solid rear axle is for the axle housing to be bent. Unless the tires were on the front and started wearing that waybefore they were put on the rear. Think about it. Radial tires will not straighten out like the old bias plys when put on the rear. What inner axles is the mechanic refering to? There are only two axles on a solid rear axle, left and right. You can use a level to check the rear axle yourself.

The only way the rear tires can wear on the inside of a vehicle with a solid rear axle is for the axle housing to be bent. Unless the tires were on the front and started wearing that waybefore they were put on the rear. Think about it. Radial tires will not straighten out like the old bias plys when put on the rear. What inner axles is the mechanic refering to? There are only two axles on a solid rear axle, left and right. You can use a level to check the rear axle yourself.

So, you are saying if there was a slight amount of wear from the front when rotated they will just keep that angle and get worse? That makes sense.

I'm going to check the wheels with a makeshift camber gauge/level, that is next. I also found a procedure in the service manual to make measurements.

Last alignment I got showed camber, caster and toe on all 4 corners.
Both my cars have solid rears, every alignment shows all specs all the way around.

Find another mechanic.

Back