Rear oil seal leaking on 4.0 liter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear oil seal leaking on 4.0 liter

RichardOdie

Reaction score
City, State
Abbotsford Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 1991 XLT
Is a leaky rear oil seal on the 4.0 liter a common problem or just a sign of the motors age , and how difficult is it to change

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ahh it's normal.

Between now and the time you get rid of the truck, do you think it would be cheaper to top the oil every so often or cheaper to just fix it now? How long do you plan on keeping it and how fast is the leak leaking?

It is just leaking abit and i plan on keeping the truck for awhile

mine leaks a bit but i cant justify putting that much money in to the explorer unless its for performance parts lol.....

If you are planning on doing your tranny anyway - changing the rear seal should not be hard to do once the tranny is out.
If you are looking for an A4LD transmission in the lower mainland the best place to check is Wasney Just off Marine in New West or CeeGee's on Mitchell Island. (just read your other post)

Yeah it's normal for most Ford trucks. Mine is leaking. Didn't even know it till one day my oil light came on. I put this stop leak stuff in & switched to 10W40 oil, & it has helped slow it down alot. I'm not going to worry about it till I need to replace the tranny. Once that comes out it will get replaced.

Oil leak

Yeah it's normal for most Ford trucks. Mine is leaking. Didn't even know it till one day my oil light came on. I put this stop leak stuff in & switched to 10W40 oil, & it has helped slow it down alot. I'm not going to worry about it till I need to replace the tranny. Once that comes out it will get replaced.

Hey did you every fix the front seal oil leak you had? I am wondering because how did you fix and was it hard?

No. I sold that X. Leaking in the same spot on my current one too.Again I have no pans to "fix" anything. Not worth the costs involved to me. It's 20 years old. Unless the trans or engine needs to come out for something else.

Back