• Register Today It's free!

Rear shaft slip-yoke servicing

RichRed 98

Reaction score
City, State
Hazleton, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport 4x4
I've been hearing that slight "clunk" sound upon stopping and leaving off the brake to pull out again. I read somewhere here about lubing this slip spline inside the boot to stop this noise. Do I remove the clips that clamp the boot on or can I unbolt the small front section of the shaft and pull the shaft out of the boot? If not, can I re-use the old clamps or go with a regular steel hose clamp? And.....these bolt heads at the u- joint. Does a regular metric socket go on them or is there a special wrench?

Rich
98 Explorer Sport 4x4

12 point metric socket, 12mm I believe.

You need to be careful when you pull the slip yoke apart, because it is not keyed and it can go back together wrong, so you need to mark the two parts so you can put it back together exactly the same.

Cut or twist those metal straps off, you can replace them with big zip ties or metal clamps.

Use the right grease for the job.

RichRed 98 said:
I've been hearing that slight "clunk" sound upon stopping and leaving off the brake to pull out again. I read somewhere here about lubing this slip spline inside the boot to stop this noise. Do I remove the clips that clamp the boot on or can I unbolt the small front section of the shaft and pull the shaft out of the boot? If not, can I re-use the old clamps or go with a regular steel hose clamp? And.....these bolt heads at the u- joint. Does a regular metric socket go on them or is there a special wrench?

Rich
98 Explorer Sport 4x4

You need to remove the clamps. Make sure you dont ruin the boot though. After greasing it you can use regular hose clamps on it. And yes, the bolts are just a regular metric 12-point socket size.

Thanks Guys....I just did the fuel filter with the plastic release tool. I didn't de-pressurize the fuel line. I wore goggles and covered up the filter area with a towel....not much gas spillage at all. Now I'm off to the slip- yoke job.

Back