Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Does anyone think the location where the rear sway bar mounts to the axle is strong enough to handle the sway bar and shock mounts?? I want to mount my shocks out of harms way and that seems like a good location, but I want to keep my sway bars. They would need to be outward from the sway bar mount approx. 3-4 inches to keep the proper angle so I don't have to change the top mounts. I thought I could reinforce the existing sway bar mounts, then weld a shock mount right over the top. Well, what do you think??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was looking under mine the other day trying to decide if there was any way possible to relocate the shocks. If you were to remount them on the sway bar brackets you would have to run a very short shock. It would not be worth the trouble as a shorter shock will severely limit the the suspension travel.

Check out Ray Lobato's thread on the "shock mount skid plates." Should be a great resource for ya.

I know of a few people who have done this. Rick is one of them. There was some other dude on the Colors Run I that had them also there. Seemed to work okay for them.

Nevermind, its being done tomorrow. I went by 4 Wheel Parts in El Cajon, and talked with the tech that does all the custom fabs. He thought it was a good idea when I showed him where I wanted to run the mounts (under the sway bar where it curves rearward and even with the bottom of the axle). I am only losing 3 inches of total shock length, bringing it to within one inch of the stock length (4" lift) so there is no problem with wheel travel.

I looked at Ray's. I noticed that the shock mount was not at the proper angle which puts unnecessary pressure on the shock bushing, plus it looked like it only moved the shock up about one inch, maybe a little more, which would not solve my problem with tearing off the Rancho 9000 buttons on rocks. It also seemed like it would be a real b&%#h to mount the bolts between those plates. For the leaf spring brackets, I am just going to run a flat plate with slider plates welded down the middle to protect the U-bolts. You can see it at the Truckhaven run. It is costing me about $10.00 in materials and a 6 pack of Sam Adams. My friend at the off road shop is defecting out the shocks so I don't have to fork over the money for that. I got the idea from looking at Darian's work on Pauls truck.

Oh yeah, is it okay if I bring a friend who has a full-sized Blazer with me to Truckhaven? He is really hot to go, just got his truck finished, and....is the manager of the El Cajon 4 Wheel Parts store so he is a good guy to get to know.

A little long winded, but I'm all done. See ya in the dirt!

Back