• Register Today It's free!

rear stabalizing shock.

phiple28

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
okay guys, you know that short little shock-absorber on the back axle mounted horizontally??? well mine is pretty much useless now... I've tried getting another one & can't find one ANYWHERE except for the dealer & they want like $60-70 for it.

So here's my question... Does anybody know if I can get a better one somewhere else? (it's not so much the money, I just don't want to give the dealer the pleasure).

By the way, I just turned 100k & the truck runs better now than it did when I got it at 20k. NEVER had a problem!!! (knock on wood).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got one from my Trailmaster suspension lift. They gave me one when I dont need one. So its here in the box taking up space. I'm not sure what they are worth. But, how does $30 shipped work? Its a trailmaster shock. Its from a '98 Sport lift kit. I'm sure it will work. You can call trailmaster though and ask. Eric

Many people have taken their's off without any problems.

Don't bother replacing it. As Alec said, a lot of us have removed it when we lifted our vehicles, and have noticed no difference in the handling.

Bilstein makes one, but it is expensive. ($60).

okay guys thanks. I'll take it off & if there's no change I won't replace it.

It's not on there for handling, so you won't notice any difference with it off in that area. It is on there to dampen the harmonic vibrations that the rear differential can cause from the longer wheel base 4-doors. If you don't pick up any annoying vibrations on the highway with it removed, then just leave it off.

Back