• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Rear suspension on 1st Gen.

Thelgord

Reaction score
City, State
Clifton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Greetings,

Its been a while sine I have posted here, but I have a quick question. Last week I decided to go up 21rd (I live in GJ, CO) and didn't get very far before I relized I needed more mods before trying to go farther. When I got back on level ground (after beeting up my 91XLT) the rear end was sagging on one side, and now both. I susspect the shocks are shot, and I am assuming they are the OEM that came with it new.

Since I am going to be changing out the rear shocks anyway I figured while I was at it, I would also do the SOA conversion. I have some concerns about the condition of the current leaf springs. Should they also be replaced? Or will the current set be fine to use? So far I have found no sign of cracks, dents, or other damage although the paint is comming off.

Thanks for any responce.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

96limitedX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
if you do the SOA the rear is going to be lifted up about 4-6"..unless your going to lift the front an get some bigger tires..i would say jus get some warrior shackles an call it good.

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Thelgord said:
When I got back on level ground (after beeting up my 91XLT) the rear end was sagging on one side, and now both. I susspect the shocks are shot, and I am assuming they are the OEM that came with it new.
Shocks would have no effect on the truck sagging. Technically, you could take them out, and the truck would sit the same.

If you witnessed an instant, and noticable, sagging, it sounds like you broke something. How much sagging did you notice on that one side? And how much on both sides now?

Thelgord

Reaction score
City, State
Clifton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
About 1.5 to 2"

Edit, It used to sit just about level, now there noticable drop in hight in the rear that would geustimate to be about 2"

Creager

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4
full tank of gas?