Rear suspension squeak - 96 XLT 2 Wheel Drive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear suspension squeak - 96 XLT 2 Wheel Drive

TheVarmit

Reaction score
City, State
Panama City, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Limited & 1996 XLT
Rear suspension squeaks on my 96 XLT 2 wheel drive and its driving me crazy!! Every little movement and its squeeaakkkkk squeeaaaakkkk!!!
My son got under it while I was rocking the X and said the squeak was coming from the leaf springs on both sides. How can I stop this awful squeak?!?!?!?!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably the leaf spring bushings at the shackles & the front hangers.

Blee1099 said:
Probably the leaf spring bushings at the shackles & the front hangers.

I tried looking for new ones last week. Anybody know of anyone besides say Ford? I know enregy has urathane ones but I want rubber. :D

YES i have this same problem too and it has not gone away after about 8 months!! I have greased every component of my rear suspension, even the 5th shock, and it still squeaks just as bad! My friends laugh at me when i pull up in a parking lot and ask me whats wrong with my truck. SOMEONE on this board needs to investigate whats causing this because my investigating has led no where! ANYONE know what is causing this?

it can also be the spring pads in between the end of each spring.

here's the issue with the squeaking i have it also and it drives me nuts, what is making noise is one of two things, either the pads between the leaves or the end bushings in the rear. the pads between the leaves dry out so you can get them to re-moisten with WD40 or a fine oil, which will solve the problem for a few weeks, however most likely the issue is the rear bushing, the problem with the bushing is it's terrible design, it's a two shell system, with an other shell that is pressed into the leaf spring containing within itself a smaller bolts guide which sandwiches a rubberized material. when the rubber dries out and wears it makes noise, eventually a metalic sound when going over bumps. To solve the problem you need to change the bushings, but there's a problem with that too, Ford sells a bushing seperatly, and getting the old one out isn't a problem if you have an air hammer but getting the new one in requires somekind of speciallized pushing tool or the removal of the whole leaf pack and pressing the bushing in with a 5 ton bench press. so the solution which i am going to follow is either to go to a sping shop and see what options they offer as far are replacing bushings with the leafs still on or replacing the whole leaf spring with a univerisal spring that jcwhitney sells for like 99 bucks each, and that is the whole issue

Thanks for all the info, I'll see what I can do before I go completely insane!!!

01 Ex Sp

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the isolators that had worn out. My 01 Ex Sp has ten isolators that mount to the frame and the body and I've had to replace six so far. The four that are mounted directly under the cab were the culprits to the loud squeaking sound that I thought was coming form the leaf spring bushing. After changing those four. bam, all the noises were gone and the vehicle road better as well.

Hell, if mine wasn't squeaking from somewhere I'd think something was wrong.

Thinking for some people can be dangerous.

Back