Rear Sway Bar?

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
Does anyone know the size of the stock explorer rear sway bar?

With the new poly kit I bought I got the sway bar bushings but the hole is a bit to small. It is the size of a dime when the stock bushing hole is the size of a nickel, I'm sure it can be drilled out to the correct size. Also can the poly rear bushings be split on the flat side for easier installation, like the front sway bar bushings?

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any Help with this?

Somebody must have had experience with this?

Can you measure your bar?

Not the diameter, I guess I could measure the circumference.

Lazzman said:
...Also can the poly rear bushings be split on the flat side for easier installation, like the front sway bar bushings?
Thanks for any help.
What kind of bushings did you get? I thought I'd have to split my Energy Suspension bushings to slide them over the rear sway bar, but under very close examination they were already split! The split was so fine I couldn't see it. So before cutting your bushings use a pry bar to see if they are already split...

Well the rear bushings in an explorer are solid so I think the Dayton ones I got are supposed to be solid as well. No split in these babies.

If the diameter of the rear bar is 7/8" what is a good size hole to drill in the bushing? I am sure it should be just a hair bigger than the bar right?

The sway bar is 7/8s, the bushings cannot be drilled out, as Al said you have the wrong bushings for your application.
return them, get the proper split bushings, this is not rocket science.

Thats all well and good fella's but the Daytons are the only rear Poly bushings made for the Explorer, except for the full EE rear sway bar kit.

The kit was Mickey Mouse from the start, nothing was easy and the fit was slightly off. They never mentioned either that the bushings on the links are glued in and not supposed to be removed.

I was able to get the poly link bushings in and secure them tight with Gorilla glue. The ride is noticeably stiffer and more controlled. I want to use the sway bar bushings but the hole is a hair to small, either I bore them out and try to use them or throw them in the trash.

Why can't they be drilled out bigger anyway? It is just a couple of tenths of Material.

u can buy just the bushing kit on ee

swaybar bushings

Replacement polyurethane bushings allow less deflection then standard rubber bushings. Includes silicone lube. Fits 95-01 4-Door, 95-03 Sport & 01-04 Sport Trac.

Part # Year price

part # ES55127GX front 01-03 Sport / 01-04 Sport Trac 39.95

part# ES45152G front 95-97 95-97 29.95

part# ES45155G front 98-01 4dr / 98-00 2dr 98-01 39.95

part# ES45153G rear 95-01 95-01 17.95

hope this helps

Back