Rear Tire/Gas Can Carrier to fit stock bumper 95-97? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Tire/Gas Can Carrier to fit stock bumper 95-97?

ExplorGM

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer Expedition
Someone was working on a carrier a while back, but I haven't seen anything recently. Anything out there?
Thanks!
Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmm..

rick, here's mine. it fits into a 2" receiver, and sits high up off the ground.

it carries a 33" tire, a 5gallon gas can, a 6gallon gas can (rubbermaid!) and a highlift jack.

pics:

tirecarrier-001.jpg

tirecarrier-002.jpg

tirecarrier-003.jpg

So far, everything I tackled since I've got it, it has totally cleared everything. At moab, the only tire/gas can bumper combo that didn't get something mauled was ricks. The tanks on Paul B's got mauled up some, and Matt Adam's pushed into his rear hatch in a few spots.

Also note, that I'm running a modified smitty bilt tube bumper. I had the 2" receiver put into the bumper, which means I don't lose any clearance in the back.

If you want to see it in person, let me know, and when your in the bay area, I can stop by to show it off!

(I also owe you a drink, for you help at truckhaven last year anyway!)

Tom, that looks great. I hadn't really looked at it at Moab, but it looks like it works very well for you. I like the way it pivots down to allow access to the tailgate.

How does it work as far as wobbling or leaning? Does it stay in place or does it wiggle when you drive?

It looks like something I may be thinking about getting down the road a bit. I'll put it on my growing list of things I must have.

Tom - I had it custom built after Moab.

Watching all the other bumpers at work, made many of the design decisions for it.

Like, putting the cans between the tire and the lift gate.

Also, since it fits in a hitch receiver, I can also move it another vehicle, if needed.

I found two other tire carriers on the net - they are $200 and about $400 apiece. Explorer Express also carries a rear-bumper tire carrier that bolts on. None was rated for a 33" tire. None had a place for the high-lift jack. None could carry two jerry cans.

Cost for the custom build? about $500 if I remember correctly.

As for wobble/lean, it doesn't move much. There is a expander in the receiver portion, that locks it in. The shop that built it did a really good job on it. When I was at clear creek, It didn't have the can carriers portion done. Some people who followed said it didn't really move a lot (it did move though).

When I attempted tank trap, it was on, with a full 5 gallon gas can and full 6gallon water jug on, high-lift, and 33" inch tire. Not a mark on the tire, cans, high-lift, or the rear tail gate afterwards! So I'm damn happy about that!

My only complaint? It gets expensive for any real good rear tire carriers/bumpers for explorers. I've probably spent close to $1.5k to get my bumpers right. (that's cost of bumpers, and then custom welding, and the tire/can/jack carrier).

For those interested, it was custom built by a firm here in the SFBay area called Fremont Hitch, Weld, and Muffler. They have a web page at http://www.fhwminc.com. Note - if you want to duplicate what I have, I can take measurements and such - but they wanted the truck for a few days, so they could make sure everything fit together.

one more pic!

Ok, here's one without the tire on the rear, so you can get a better idea how it works.

tirecarrier-004.jpg

[Edited by tdavis on 06-11-2000 at 08:09 PM]

Thanks for the info, Tom. It looks like they did an excellent job on it. It's definately on my list of needs, but not right away. :)

Tom,
Nice rack.... the cans are a nice touch too....:)

Tom,

One question about your spare carrier...What do you do when you want/need to tow something? Does the carrier act a a receiver extender or are you S.O.L. when you need to tow?

Dave

Tom,
Thanks for the pictures. Sounds like your truck is getting the full treatment! Hopefully I'll get a chance to see it in the Bay Area.
Rick

Back