• Register Today It's free!

Rear upper ball joint necessary?

balboa850

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLS
Just removed rear wheel hub to remove 2 sheared off bolts. I used the pickle fork to remove the upper ball joint, destroying the rubber gasket.

So, what I've learned is that I can't just replace the ball joint because I have 16" wheels so I need a whole new control arm.

Can I get away with just sticking the old ball joint in and been done?

How bad of a drive will I have?

Thanks.

Edit: for some reason I cannot reply to any comments using the reply or new post buttons. Anyhow, I bought a ball joint and will try and press out the old one before I buy a new control arm. I read on this forum somewhere about 16" tires causing issues and when looking at BJ's on Autozone, etc. it specifies not for 16" tires?

Just removed rear wheel hub to remove 2 sheared off bolts. I used the pickle fork to remove the upper ball joint, destroying the rubber gasket.

So, what I've learned is that I can't just replace the ball joint because I have 16" wheels so I need a whole new control arm.

Thanks.
You need to replace it because the boot is what holds the grease in and without grease or a boot dirt will get in and destroy the ball joint

Thanks.
You either replace it now, or you are going to have too replace it later.

I am confused, what does having 16" wheels have to do with it?

If the BJ is built into the control arm, not separately user-replaceable, then you either replace the control arm, or hunt down the right size replacement boot for it. If there is much play in it, then I'd go ahead and replace the control arm and I suspect (maybe? IDK for sure) it may then need a rear wheel alignment.

What does "sitcking the old ball joint in" mean? Just reattaching it to the hub? If so, yes you can do that but as others mentioned, it'll put up grime and wear out without a good boot on it. Another possible option is buy the replacement control arm or just ball joint that looks like the boot is compatible, and transfer that boot onto yours.

Back