Rear Window Hinge issues

bigred99

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello,
I have a stock 1999 ford explorer and am having some issues with the rear window hinges. The right hand side hinge has come off of the body of my car and is only connected to the window now. The bushing I have, but the screw has fallen into the frame of the rear door. I am wondering how I should go about fixing this? Its not the first time that this has happened either. I was able to make a quick fix last time, but I am looking for something thats going to last longer.
I took out the struts so that the window is not being pulled upwards and warped, but I am nervous that I will make a mistake and shatter the window if it flexes the wrong way. Is it worth buying two new hinges in this case, or should I buy one new one? I was also thinking that I could get Lock Tight and just glue the screw into the hinge.

window.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're not concerned about how the hinge looks, drill a hole through the hinge where the bolt goes, install a longer bolt and put a nyloc nut on it and paint it black. These hinges often strip out like yours did. Junk yard hinges probably wont last long unless opening the rear glass wasn't done very often by the PO. You can also find used hinges on eBay.

I had an issue with my 98 also, and it's just a stud with a nut on the inside. So yes the threads of the hinge will strip out, typically only after the nut becomes loose(vibration will slowly damage the hinge threads).

So everyone should check those hatch glass hinges regularly. If they are at all loose, if the hinge will shift at all either way left or right, stop using the hatch until you can tighten the studs holding the hinge on.

The trim can be pulled back without removing the whole hatch piece. Just tug it down gently to pull the clips loose, enough to get your hand and a socket in there. I think it was a 10mm, I happened to have it in my truck when it happened on my mail route. I couldn't reuse the hinge though, it took a while to realize that a few threads were gone. I had to tape the glass shut with duct tape.

The stud should be tight in the hinge but not over done. I'd use a drop of blue loctite on that, and the nut from the inside. That's a spot where vibration will work them loose over enough years.

I had an issue with my 98 also, and it's just a stud with a nut on the inside. So yes the threads of the hinge will strip out, typically only after the nut becomes loose(vibration will slowly damage the hinge threads).

So everyone should check those hatch glass hinges regularly. If they are at all loose, if the hinge will shift at all either way left or right, stop using the hatch until you can tighten the studs holding the hinge on.

The trim can be pulled back without removing the whole hatch piece. Just tug it down gently to pull the clips loose, enough to get your hand and a socket in there. I think it was a 10mm, I happened to have it in my truck when it happened on my mail route. I couldn't reuse the hinge though, it took a while to realize that a few threads were gone. I had to tape the glass shut with duct tape.

The stud should be tight in the hinge but not over done. I'd use a drop of blue loctite on that, and the nut from the inside. That's a spot where vibration will work them loose over enough years.

All true and considering the hinge is made of pot-metal (maybe aluminum) and that the hole that the stud screws into is very shallow it's a problem waiting to happen. The rear window struts (especially when new and strong) also add stress to the hinge when closing it. For these reason I rarely open my rear glass. This being said, I'm replacing the glass struts on my Eddie B and Mountaineer this week, because they are no longer capable of holding the glass up on the rare occasion i open it.

I did what Koda2000 did. Only I was holding it in my hand when drilling and drilled a hole between my finger and finger nail on my left middle finger. I'm sure everyone heard me yell and curse. I used some Home Depot nuts and bolts. Still haven't got around to painting them black, but it works great. Just do not over-tighten.

....... drill a hole through the hinge where the bolt goes, install a longer bolt and put a nyloc nut on it and paint it black........

This is what I did...

Back