Rear wiper problem. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear wiper problem.

Omg guys....I just figured out the freaking problem with the rear wipers. I bought a new wiper arm and it swiped very well but it was still intermittently working. So I took the motor apart and put new dielectric grease and still same problem. So I bought a remaufactured motor and still the same problem. So I thought for a second and tried to clean the actual switch by the radio, but I couldn't get it off or apart. I didn't have contact cleaner so I used my maf cleaner. I stuck the little hose on the side of the switch and gave it a few quick blasts. Guess what!? The rear wipers works likes it's brand spanking new. I will be returning the remanufactured motor and get my 35 dollars back. I am so happy, I can't believe the little switch gave me the biggest headache. Give it a try guys and you may be surprised.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hadn't heard that one before. Nice troubleshooting! :thumbsup:

Wiper arm modification

Just bought a 2001 xlt today, 88k miles. Pretty clean truck. 1 of 2 things I found wrong with it was the rear wiper deal you have been talking about. Thought maybe something was wrong with the motor. Pulled the back panel off and found nothing wrong. Blade was getting caught on glass and if I bent the arm to clear the glass, guess what, it wouldn't wipe much of the glass. Well, the pivot of the arm was bound up a little bit, lubed it, heated it up and it freed up quite nice. Still the same thing. I found that the arm was hitting the stops on the arm before it would touch the glass. Took the plastic cover off of the pivot of the arm and was able to move the arm back enough that I could get a die grinder in to cut the stops down. I took maybe 1/8 inch off of the aluminum stops. Now the arm works like it should. Thought maybe some of you may like this. I wonder if that is what is different about the new wiper arms. I like this better, it was free

Does the motor come on at all? Is the wiper arm trying to move but getting caught on the bottom lip of the rear window/hatch and then stops? Are you able to turn it on and then go back and lift the wiper blade up above the bottom lip of the window and then it starts? These were symptoms I had and I was able to repair it. If you have these symptoms, I can share with you what I did and it now works.

how did you fix the problem of the wiper getting caught at the bottom of the glass?

Im having a problem with me, i got my truck and everythings fine except for the rear wiper, where exactly is the safety switch and the fuse numbers for the wiper? it literally worked once, scared the crap out of me cause i fixing something else and then never worked again XD

I'm anxious to hear about the fix for the wiper blade getting stuck in the crack between the bottom of the glass and the hatch. Mine does that, too, and it's driving me nuts.

I'm anxious to hear about the fix for the wiper blade getting stuck in the crack between the bottom of the glass and the hatch. Mine does that, too, and it's driving me nuts.

I made a spacer of 5/8" plywood the same shape as the mounting pice that attaches to the body. The extra space prevents the wiper from going down in the crack. I can post a picture if it helps

I made a spacer of 5/8" plywood the same shape as the mounting pice that attaches to the body. The extra space prevents the wiper from going down in the crack. I can post a picture if it helps

Yes, please post a picture if you can. I think I will try that since I just replaced my motor two days ago, and as soon as I ran the wiper it got stuck in the gap. I'd rather not bend the wiper arm too much out of shape so that it doesn't make full contact with the window.

Does the motor come on at all? Is the wiper arm trying to move but getting caught on the bottom lip of the rear window/hatch and then stops? Are you able to turn it on and then go back and lift the wiper blade up above the bottom lip of the window and then it starts? These were symptoms I had and I was able to repair it. If you have these symptoms, I can share with you what I did and it now works.

I have to lift the blade after turning on for it to work. Could you shre your fix for this problem.

If your blade is getting stuck in the gap between the window and body, then look at the picture in the post above. If it just needs to be moved to get the motor to catch, the motor needs replaced.

Not getting stuck in gap. Was just raining here the other day so i went to use reaar wiper and this time lifting on it didnt work, but i hit it straight in with my hand at the base of the arm where it meets the motor and it worked. Do you think its just the motor wearing out?

Yes, the motor needs replacing if you want it to work

I have the same problem with the blade not hitting the whole glass I have removed the motor thinking the bracket might be cracked ...found that on Youtube but the bracket is fine however I found a black plastic spacer that goes on the end of the motor shaft where it goes thru the door to be broken in half...does anyone have a part number for this sleeve???

This subject has been discussed to death. The rear wiper design is just bad. The motor should have been attached to the glass and not the tailgate. The mounting system and metal gauge of the tailgate are insufficient to stop the force of the wiper arm spring from distorting the mounting system. The geometry is bad and that prevents the blade from contacting the glass in the middle of it's sweep.

I've fooled around with different solutions and the only one that helped was to cut about an 1/16th"-1/8" off the wiper arm stops with my Dremel tool. Doing this gives me near 100% coverage, but the blade will occasionally get stuck in the gap between the glass and the tailgate. Using an expensive ($20+) Bosch blade seems to have eliminated this tendency.

I've given up on my other 3 Gen II's. It's not worth the effort IMO. Screw the stupid rear wiper.

This subject has been discussed to death. The rear wiper design is just bad. The motor should have been attached to the glass and not the tailgate. The mounting system and metal gauge of the tailgate are insufficient to stop the force of the wiper arm spring from distorting the mounting system. The geometry is bad and that prevents the blade from contacting the glass in the middle of it's sweep.

I've fooled around with different solutions and the only one that helped was to cut about an 1/16th"-1/8" off the wiper arm stops with my Dremel tool. Doing this gives me near 100% coverage, but the blade will occasionally get stuck in the gap between the glass and the tailgate. Using an expensive ($20+) Bosch blade seems to have eliminated this tendency.

I've given up on my other 3 Gen II's. It's not worth the effort IMO. Screw the stupid rear wiper.
Lol!! I just cut the stops with my dremel tool!! works good enough for me and you are right the wiper systems sucks!!

I also dealt with this issue for too long. Ended up just removing and eliminating the wiper and motor all together. Weight savings ftw...lol

I'm having this problem! What did you do to fix it?
Thanks
You can see the pictures I posted and it does prevent the wiper arm from getting stuck however, it is still difficult to get 100% coverage. Also, read Koda's thread above. It is difficult at best to keep these working and after replacing the motor a time or two along with modifications, you may end up like the rest of us and just let it be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

/\ So this is ONE advantage I have with my older 95 "square back" second gen... different setup that doesn't have these issues....chock another one up for old (older) school ;).
Mine works fine except for it sounds like an angry mother ostrich during operation.
Had to do mod to put "modern universal" blade in though:

Back