How to: - Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
This is not a reply but its the only way i know how to post. i have a 95 ranger. i have a problem with the 4x4 first off should the switch ever make a clicking noise. second sometimes the 4x4 says iton but sometimes it doesnt, if i hit the motor with a mallet it will go to 4x4. does this mean it needs a new 4x4 shift motor. and when it is on i put it on jack stands and on the right driveshft will move. is this because of a limited slip differental in the front end. my truck has auto hubs. how will i know if the 4x4 is engaged. can you feel it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had a question. what would be the reason if one of the large magnets is not glued down and is moving with the winding. second i dont understand where to put the mark

i had a question. what would be the reason if one of the large magnets is not glued down and is moving with the winding. second i dont understand where to put the mark

The magnets should be secured to the outer motor case.. If they are not the motor will not work correctly as the magnet field will not be balanced. I would assume a rusted inner casing or insufficient bonding at the factor could cause the magnet(s) to de-laminate.

27133Tcase13.jpg

The "witness" marks are made so YOU know how to re-install the cover in the same position it was removed. I generally draw a straight line on the side of the cover which spans onto the casing.

Sorry guys i know ur gonna b pissed. for the life of me i dont know how to post or start a new thread. but anyway, i bought a new shift motor and changed the pins on the plug and plugged it back up and started the truck i had a buddy turn the switch while i was under the truck and the motor was in my hand and it didnt turn. whats next. the old one worked somtimes when i hit it so i know the wirings good. any tips would help.

This Post is Excellent!!

Just yesterday I decided to tear into this shift motor because i was tired of not haveing 4x4 and it was the exact problem! The plasic bushing (cushion) on the large gear in the shift motor had completely fell apart i used a piece of 5/16 rubber hose and it fixed it perfectly! Thanks for the post and releaving my problem from me!!!!

HELL ####IN YEAH I GOT MY 4 WHEEL DRIVE BACK!!! thanks to this kick ass write up! i owe you! about $300! haha

I just read 17 pages of this thread! Whew!

So far all I really read on here was about 1st gens shift motors. My 2nd gen looks different than the pics Brian posted. My rig is stuck in a neutral state right now,(I shifted into 4 low, and it got stuck between gears, and whacking it didnt work) and the weather is turning for the worse. The only thing I can think of doing at this moment after reading this is to remove the shift motor, and manually shift it into 2 hi. That in its self is a relief. But as far as the wiring goes, what do i do? If I just leave the shift motor off for now, what all do I need to do? I am stuck, and need to get around with this rig.
Will a 1st gen shift motor install on a 2nd gen? I do have one on a 94, that is currently on stands waiting for some TLC :)

Shift motor rebuilt.

Hi, I'm new to the site. I just got a 92 Explorer that won't do the the 4x thing. Thanks to all the info on this site, I found that the motor has the plastic stop disintegrated. The next question is where, and how do I get a replacement part?

Thanks for all the help,
Larry

Hi, I'm new to the site. I just got a 92 Explorer that won't do the the 4x thing. Thanks to all the info on this site, I found that the motor has the plastic stop disintegrated. The next question is where, and how do I get a replacement part?

Thanks for all the help,
Larry

Hi Larry and welcome to the site. :salute:
There is no replacement part other than to slip short piece of rubber hose (5/16") over the stop screw..

See earlier posts such as:

Just yesterday I decided to tear into this shift motor because i was tired of not haveing 4x4 and it was the exact problem! The plasic bushing (cushion) on the large gear in the shift motor had completely fell apart i used a piece of 5/16 rubber hose and it fixed it perfectly! Thanks for the post and releaving my problem from me!!!!

All I did was go to Autozone with the whole motor (I needed to T-20 wrench with the hole in it to take it apart), bought the tool, took it apart on their counter and the guy let me go back to all the tubing and I just fit tubing over the bolt until I got a good fit and the guy just gave it to me. Not even $10 to fix what I thought was a $300 problem!:D But 4 wheel drive doesn't matter when you have bald tires... Any one know where to get a good deal on some 31"s?

ummm...

okay, i got a 94 ford explorer with the electronic shift. it was working up untill recently. i pressed the 4x4 button and lights came on but no 4x4. than i tried to switch back to 2x and all that happen was the relays clicked in the back. i went and pulled the shift motor and removed the position sensor and gear and replaced the problematic plastic bushing. but i still have the same prob. i check the position sensor and notice it looks different from the ones pic'ed above. the sensor postion plate is mounted to cover somehow from the inside. :S im convince that its the postion sensor but i just cant seem to crack it open with out...well, breaking it! anyone else have this problem?

I have noticed a question that has been mentioned here but there has been no answer to it yet and I feel that it may help my situation.
I have read the 2nd gen 4x4 post as mentioned here:
But I have also not found the answers.

My situation:
I have a 97 Sport, auto, with 4auto/4high/4low. I purchase this X ($800 and mint) because the owner said the transmission was dead and he just wanted it gone. The truck did not drive at all, when on 4auto and put into gear there was a ratcheting noise almost like a bicycle not fully shifting into gear. I put it into neutral and selected 4low and I was able to drive it. After finding this out I then put it back into 4high and nothing but noise, same with 4 auto. I do hear it trying to engage back into 4high/4auto.
I removed the shift motor and manually shifted it into 4high (The arrows and markings only say, "high, Low"). This worked and I was able to drive it in 4high without noise, I was able to shifted it back into 4low and drive it but going back into 4high/4auto doesn’t work even after it was cleaned, greased and reinstalled.
Note: My shift motor does not have the stop screw washer. It also has the encased sensor dial.

All of my lights work fine as selected by the switch. I was also able to rotate the sensor housing that uses the Hex bits to see if adjusting it would make a difference but the same ratcheting noise and it doesn’t sound like it’s any different.

The way it sits:
I can select 4low and all works fine, the only way to drive it in 4high/4auto is by manually shifting it. I have done the BWM (Brown wire mod) with a lighted switch but I also find it just barely glows in High and Low. I also don't notice it going into 2wd when it has been switched in the front, while turning my steering it feels the same either way. Will there be a sound when engaged/disengaged?

One of the things I am going to try is the mentioned binding of the motor shaft. The motor spins free but I did notice that when it’s put back together it’s hard to turn the worm gear by hand without the large gear in place. Also the mounting plate that mounts to the TC may be causing it to be on a slight angle causing it to bind.

I have searched and read over this site for the last week trying to educate myself. I have found all of the info here priceless.

Thanks in advance,

-Zach

On the security T series, I used the corner of a screw driver and snapped the center studs out then a standard t-15 worked just fine.

Unfortunately for me none of this so far has helped. I was stuck in 4L and had the 4L and 4H lights flashing 5 times at me. I pulled the shift motor out, moved the arm to 4H, disasembled the motor and gearbox inspected everything and found everything to be good. I put it back together, hooked it back up with the selector in Auto and now I get six flashes of both lights.

Any thoughts?

Let me tell you guys how lucky you are to have DeRocha, on this site, I have a 1993 Navajo, yea don't laugh, but i was sooooo upset with this thing not going into four wheel drive, I p.m.'ed him after reading his article about checking the 4x4 computer (in the back), and told him what was going on. He not only sent me the wiring diagram, but asked a few questions that i didn't even think of, during the amazingly short time he took to respond, I found this article, and now I know its that little bump stop on the gear, I'm fixing it today, I will come back here and let you know how it goes, but THANK YOU DeRocha, for your VERY quick responce!

David Ferguson
Oh btw I have a fourm, I would love it if some of you would join, from what I have seen, you are all grown men helping grown men.

P.M. me for the site details, thank you explorerfourm and all your members.

On the security T series, I used the corner of a screw driver and snapped the center studs out then a standard t-15 worked just fine.

Unfortunately for me none of this so far has helped. I was stuck in 4L and had the 4L and 4H lights flashing 5 times at me. I pulled the shift motor out, moved the arm to 4H, disasembled the motor and gearbox inspected everything and found everything to be good. I put it back together, hooked it back up with the selector in Auto and now I get six flashes of both lights.

Any thoughts?

It's all good. Went to Ford, purchased a new shift motor, installed it and walla. $250 later,,,,, the shop wanted more than that just to troubleshoot the problem.

I went to get a new motor, the motor and the stop were screwed in mine, so now I have five working motors and four computers, if anyone is interested in one or all of them let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back