Rebuild time...

Kmaysob

Reaction score
City, State
Mesa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 explorer xlt
2007 Ford Explorer xlt V6 5r55s trans.

Gentlemen, The time has come for a rebuild on my wifes explorer. Took it to utah last week and on the way home yesterday, it woulnt shift to 2nd unless I let off the gas, down shifts in the hill became outright scary! Downshifts occasionally came with a BANG that made me worry about the rest of the drive train. I managed to baby it and get us home. It now sits in the driveway until I can get it to a transmission shop. I installed the a Aj1 kit last year and I think it bought me some time. Alas, here we are.

Any pointers on what to watch out for with the transmission shops?
I have cash, but am thinking I should pay with credit card, just in case they don't do the work I paid for.
Should I go with an atra shop, or does it really matter?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive only dealt with a transmission shop once and it was AAMCO. Cant vouch for all of them but the one I went to went out of their way to go the extra mile. When I happened to mention the vehicle I brought the transmission in for (I removed it for them so they never saw the vehicle) had a transfer case, they told me to bring it in for a rebuild and cleaning for no extra charge. The warranty gave me the extra warm fuzzy too. Couldnt have been happier.

Need to get it scanned and not just a code reader. Sounds more electrical to me from description. Speed sensor, solenoid pack, MAF sensor all come to mind for shift scheduling.

Need to get it scanned and not just a code reader. Sounds more electrical to me from description. Speed sensor, solenoid pack, MAF sensor all come to mind for shift scheduling.
I scanned it on the way home. I had an incorrect ratio for 2nd if I remember right. It hadn't kicked the cel yet at that point. The cel is on and the little wrench light now. Haven't had a moment to check it again yet. Trans has 130k on it, from what I've read, I'm on borrowed time anyways. I will certainly scan it again when I get home today .

Last year I bought a 2007 v6/5R55 with a broken tranny. It did not have the reverse, and few forward gears were also messed up, the errors were - incorrect ratios on few of them. Mine had 117k when it blew, which is typical for those units. Many have gone more, some less.
I asked some shops around, and that thing is so "popular", they had them on the shelves ready to be installed, cost $ 3000-3500. Make sure they flush the cooler and cooler lines both ways.
I ended up buying a remanufactured unit for $ 1800 and doing it at home.
We used AAMCO for one of the trucks in my old job, and it was a horror, they replaced the tranny 4 times and it's still was not good. You better off finding a good tranny shop, check reviews.

Went through his with wife's 2006 Explorer. Similar symptoms as yours. Ours was broken inside. Later on I was shown the damage, Gears sheared and housings broken. The insides was full of metal. So it had to be put in a bath. Very common with these transmissions.
Finding a good trans shop. Ask people. Several recommended the same place here in Raleigh. Very solid reputation. I called them and booked it in. Needed a total rebuild not a repair. I already thought that. Some shops will rebuild them with just what is needed. I wanted a better transmission. Several upgrade kits installed. And it shifts and drives better than when we bought it new.
3 days later if was ready to be picked up. I got a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty. Paid $2700. cash discount. The shop has been there since 1956. It drives / shifts better than new.

Made a ton of phone calls today and got prices all over the place from 2300-3500. On a whim, I text a good friend of mine (and a very well respected technician) and asked if he had any place he recommended. He immediately sent me a pic of the card and said this was the guy for the job. Guy said 1900-2300. The 1900 tag includes all seals and normal wear parts, solenoid pack, torque converter, boring and sleeving the servo bores, some other valve body mods that he does to increase life, installation of a new rear main seal (not including the cost of the seal) fluid and r&r. If any of the baskets, gears, or shafts are damaged, its 2300. I was able to find his shop on google and read all good reviews. The 2nd shop I had on my list is 3-4 weeks out. This said end of next week.

Warranty? I had several Sonnax upgrade parts put in mine. Really improved the shifting and driving of the Explorer. I had several hard parts that were broken. I requested new parts and not used from their shelves. Good luck.

Got the truck back on Friday. Shifts like a dream! He ended up doing everything shown above, plus the overdrive planetary. Said it was one of the worst he has ever seen. Trying to figure out how to post pictures from my phone.

Mine was the same. Better than new. My over drive thingy was toast. Enjoy.

Back