• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilding 4.0 OHV on a budget

L.A.X

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer EB
Planning on buying a block from the salvage yard and doing all the work myself. Is it a difficul job? How much would I be spending on parts and other stuff?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found a place that has an engine rebuild kit for $475. I also found a place that will rebuild my engine for 1095. Decisions, decisions....

Where did you find the rebuild kit for that price at?

The place is called VALLEY AUTO PARTS AND ENGINE PARTS. www.enginepartstore.com The price is actually 413. Includes full gasket set, pistons, rings, main bearings, rod bearings, cam bearings, freeze plug set, oil pump, timing kit. Warranty is manufacturer warranty of 12 month or 12,000 miles

Found them on yelp. Good reviews. They have a full machine shop. 8212 Sunland Blvd. Sun Valley, Ca. I'm gonna check them out. I'll let you guys know how it goes

How much of the engine are u getting? If it's just the block is not worth it. If it's the whole engine then I'd spend about a grand and do the work myself. If it's going into an explorer u currently have then I might say go for the just the block and re use your accesssories

How do your cylinders look inside? Will you have to hone them to a bigger bore? That is what I first would look into, so you can order pistons and rings oversized if needed.

Will look this weekend when I tear apart the engine

Back