Rebuilt 5r55e Transmission - Moves Forward in Reverse/Neutral | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilt 5r55e Transmission - Moves Forward in Reverse/Neutral

Reaction score
City, State
Sunshine, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
I have just rebuilt a 5r55e transmission for my 1997 Explorer 4.0 4x4 OHV. I had a broken reverse band that I replaced along with the front and intermediate band and all friction/clutch packs. I followed the manual on the complete rebuild and now that everything is back together I am having an issue shifting into reverse and neutral.
When I turn the truck on, it jolts forward (while in park) if I shift into reverse it wants to drive forward. If I shift into neutral, it wants to drive forward. I have backed off the front and intermediate bands an additional 1/2 turn but that did not affect anything. I can shift into each gear slot but not the 1st gear. It does not want the shift that low. I can not push the vehicle in any gear.
I soaked the clutch plates in ATF and filled the torque converter with 2 quarts before installing them. I tested the solenoids and servos, they were all functional. I also replaced all the gaskets and grommets in the system. I topped off the fluids before I kicked it on for the first time.
Any ideas on resolving this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Center support bolt tight? sprags holding in the right directions? Manual valve hooked up correctly?

Manual valve perhaps.

i dont know anything about trans rebuilds but could it be shifting cable is misadjusted?
you said you cant get into low gear ,so your one gear off on the cable??
when trans is in park (put it there manually yourself )does shift indicator say park?

aside from this sounds like the rebuild did not go well .

I did some playing around with a spare transmission I have and I think it might be the parking pawl actuating rod not seating all the way into the#extension#housing. I will#check it outtomorrow and post back with what I find.

same problem

I have just rebuilt a 5r55e transmission for my 1997 Explorer 4.0 4x4 OHV. I had a broken reverse band that I replaced along with the front and intermediate band and all friction/clutch packs. I followed the manual on the complete rebuild and now that everything is back together I am having an issue shifting into reverse and neutral.
When I turn the truck on, it jolts forward (while in park) if I shift into reverse it wants to drive forward. If I shift into neutral, it wants to drive forward. I have backed off the front and intermediate bands an additional 1/2 turn but that did not affect anything. I can shift into each gear slot but not the 1st gear. It does not want the shift that low. I can not push the vehicle in any gear.
I soaked the clutch plates in ATF and filled the torque converter with 2 quarts before installing them. I tested the solenoids and servos, they were all functional. I also replaced all the gaskets and grommets in the system. I topped off the fluids before I kicked it on for the first time.
Any ideas on resolving this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

Bronco boy, are you having the same issue? It is unclear when you just quote me but don't say anything.

i have a 2003 4.6 with 5r55w5 . soft shift into second gear. pulled tranny as my fluid was clean and no filings. started pulling apart and all was good until i pulled sevo piston cover off. small one at front as it is for intermediate gears. rod was broken right threw piston. put valve body ect. back together with new filter and fluid. reinstalled transmission, yes i forgot to say replaced piston and rod, and jumps forward in park and moves forward in reverse. cant get shifter to go to first gear position. when io get it figured out will post solution. any help appreciated.

There is a disconnect between the exterior and interior valve selector. At least on my issue, when I reopened my rranny I found the interior rod to select which valve was opened was not connected to the ball joint that the exterior shift cable pulls on. I hope this helps.

thanks for info. did that solve your issue? is your transmission working normal now?

Yes, without the connection, it would never shift out of 1st gear. Nothing was pulling it into other gear positions. Once the connection was restored I could shift between all gears.

There is a disconnect between the exterior and interior valve selector. At least on my issue, when I reopened my rranny I found the interior rod to select which valve was opened was not connected to the ball joint that the exterior shift cable pulls on. I hope this helps.

Can this repair to the shift lever from outer to inner be done with trans installed or need to be removed?

Transmission doesn’t need removed just VB drop. Sounds like the forward clutches are welded together.
In that case the transmission will need to come out to be replaced or rebuilt.
Brad

341B0854-00D6-48A2-B5BB-534DB5495DAD.jpeg

Back