Recommend a headunit

KPT

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XL 4x4
So its time for a new headunit. I haven't looked at any in a long time. Are there any good websites to check out?

Budget is around $300. Headunit must not have an internal amp. Must have three sets of preouts with selectable HPF on rear and front outs. Don't care about a LPF on the sub out. MP3 CD capability would be nice. I don't need DVD capability.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kenwood is my favorite, very good to me over the years

You will get ALOT of opinions on here

Even if it has an internal amp on many of the System Eq models you can turn it off when not using it.

I love my Kenwood head units.

I have an Alpine unit that about 3-4 years old... Not much use because I don't drive the Explorer very often... No internal amp... It has 3 sets of preouts, MP3, XM (by the way I have the XM unit and I'll throw that in too with it because I won't need it)... It has a remote... I can get the model number for you once I'm home if you're interested... Its been a great unit, but I've changed to Sirius for my sat radio and this one doesn't support it, otherwise I wouldn't part with it...

I am liking my current Alpine 7840, but been browsing newer ones. Here are some I have been checking out...

Alpine DVA-9860, on sale for $299.99, free shipping

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vEWKtCBgSU8/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=bbe&i=500DVA9860

Alpine CDA-9857, $349.99, free shipping

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vEWKtCBgSU8/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=bbe&i=500CDA9857

Both are XM or Sirius ready with an optional tuner. Both have BBE processing, which is a key feature that I like on my 7840.

If you use my Crutchfield referral code pjiqx-9kid5-1eryf, you can get $20 off your first order :thumbsup:

One of the nice things about the first one he listed the DVA-9860 (one of the ones I've been eyeing) is that you can burn your MP3's to a DVD instead of a regular disc, and if you do that you can actually have I think its 1036 songs or something like that on the first layer, I read somewhere that it doesn't support dual layer discs though...

I'm going video and I was going to get this deck but it doesn't support dual zone so it got axed from my lineup... One cool thing though is that it can use an optical audio out to go to an Alpine video amp, and have true 5.1 surround!!! Crutchfield has a package right now with this deck and an amp for about $500... If it had dual zone I'd have jumped on it... But alas I'll be going a different route I believe...

I do have a DVD burner.

Truck currently has the top of line Sony non-active black panel 2001 model I got as a gift then. CD player in it is worthless, if the disc has the slightest scratch or if the bass hits it will skip. Reason I say the unit needs HPF's on the preouts is the majority of music I listen to I can run the 7"s in the doors full range, but on some SPL **** I need to turn the HPF on (lowest the Sony goes is 78 HZ). [People if you are running your highs on a permanent HPF you are missing out. The system really shines when your mids can run from the tweeter x-over point on down. Likewise if you are using the amp in your headunit... yeah] Amp only adjustment is worthless obviously as it is too far from the drivers seat. Same for the internal amp- front were running on two channels of a 4x50 MTX amp and it clipped before the fronts got to an acceptable level. Had to bridge it to 100x2 for them, so obviously the 15 or 20 watts RMS from a headunit are worthless.

My top three choices would be Alpine/Eclipse/Kenwood but I did not see any current offerings from that them that do not have an amp. I remember this being more prevalent a few years ago....

Heath let me know the model number of the Alpine you have.

Back