2005 X: New headunit with stock speakers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 X: New headunit with stock speakers

BWilliams

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY (home) // Rochester, NY (school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT Sport
I'm considering putting an AVIC-Z2 into my dash... I currently have the Audiophile system and am happy with the quality of the sound coming from the speakers and sub... don't want to do a whole rip/replace.

I believe that I am understanding this correctly.. the '05 HU has an internal amp, so I would need a HU that has an amp, to avoid having to add an amp... does this headunit provide the proper outputs to both the speakers and sub, or would I need a new amp along with it? And if I can just use the stock setup, is it just a matter of connecting the harness and all of the HU-specific equipment?

From http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/Navigation/In-Dash/AVIC-Z2?tab=B :

Built-in Speaker Power MOSFET 50W x 4
Continuous Power Output 22W x 4
Equalizer EEQ (3-Band Parametric)
SFEQ (Sound Focus EQ)
Loudness 3 Mode
Source Level Adjuster (SLA)
High-Pass Crossover (HPF) 50/80/125Hz, -12dB/Oct.
Subwoofer Crossover (LPF) 50/80/125Hz, -12dB/Oct.
RCA Preouts 3 pair (Front, Rear, Sub/Non-Fading)
Preout Voltage 2.2V, 1k Ohm

If you have the Audophile setup, your amplifier should be external and located very close to the sub (often in the same plastic "insert"). In this case, there are harnesses that allow your head unit to utilize the stock speakers and amplifier.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=103000&i=120705521&tp=2977

In addition, you'll want to put a 12v-5v transistor between the headunit's remote amp-on and the harness. Most aftermarket units send the signal at 12v, while Ford sends it at 5v. As a result, when your sub turns on, you'll hear an annoying "pop" sound because of the surge. The transistor stops this.

Thanks Adam.. that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

EDIT: I looked on the Crutchfield site, and it looks like the harness I need has one connector with a bunch of wires and then 2 male RCA cables... those are the cables that go to the HU for the sub, correct?

With respect to the RCA's, you got it. The harness, however, is a little curious. I suggest you pull your stock HU to determine whether it has one large harness, or one medium + one small for the sub. It'll save you frustration in the long run--if Crutchfield recommends the wrong harness.

Back