Recommendations for new engine purchase? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recommendations for new engine purchase?

E_AU_Tiger

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 5-Speed 4.0L
I have a 91 with 104,000 miles on it. The oil pressure sending unit took a hit from something on a city street here in Mobile, cracked, lost all my oil in the blink of an eye in a freak occurence (Lube shop tech said he had never seen this before). The engine went from fine to a knock that only occurs when you have 1/2 quart of oil in it. Needless to say, my well kept baby is now dying right before my eyes. She sounds like a carpenter framing up a house when she starts and even with Lucas oil treatment she knocks along the whole way down the road. I have no oil pressure, a knock, a rattle, and a couple of leprachauns in the heads.

Long story short, and thanks for listening,

Where can I buy a reputable engine? Tranny is good, interior is good, exterior is good. Does the armrest count in the good rating? Just kidding.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any advice on finding the armrest?

Jasper makes GREAT remanufacturered motors/trannys - nice warranty as well :thumbsup:

-Drew

Thank you very much. I do not want to lose her to the car crusher or for parts.

Looking at new engines and came across this place. This is for the '91

http://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/f...45-engines.html

They have a 70,ooo mile/ 7 year warranty.

Just got an email back and here is what they offer. Quick response too.

This engine is built with Alabama new casting cylinder heads. This long block comes with the block, heads, and all the internals. The only thing you will need is the external covers. Such as oil pan, valves covers, intake. Ect... The engine also includes a complete set of Felpro gaskets and a new oil pump, as well as an unbeatable warranty. The engine comes with a 7 year 70,000 mile warranty. The fist year is covered parts and labor, the second year is parts only, and the third through the seventh year is covered 50% of the current retail price as far as part and or engine replacement This engine is built with premium pro stock aftermarket parts, they are as fallows. The pistons used are Federal Mogul or Sealed Power, Rings are Hastings, new Durabond hardened seats, Cloy's steel timing set, Elgin stainless steel valves, springs, keepers, retainers, rockers, push rods, lifters, nuts, fulcrums, and cam. The crank is reground and polished, and new Federal Mogul over sized bearings are used. The blocks are baked, shotpeened, and magnafluxed Then the blocks are bored, and diamond honed. This same process is used on our cylinder heads. The shipping cost is 175.00 to a business with a forklift or a loading dock. If the engine is being delivered to a residence, the cost would be 255.00 and that comes with a lift gated truck so they can offload the engine for you. Thanks for your inquiry,

Back