Recommendations for Replacement Stereo/GPS/Bluetooth Unit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recommendations for Replacement Stereo/GPS/Bluetooth Unit

smyrnagc

Reaction score
City, State
Smyrna, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer Sport Trac
My 2010 ST has the standard CD, AM/FM, Sirius radio and I am wanting to change it out to a touch screen stereo with GPS, Bluetooth, CD/DVD, AM/FM, MP3, iPod, back up camera...etc. There are a ton of them on the internet and I was wanting recommendations from you guys that have done this as to which unit is recommended.

I would like to keep it under $500.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got this one two weeks ago and installed it myself. Fast Shipping. I have yet to configure the steering wheel controls, not big of a deal. GPS is fast and bluetooth is not bad. Screen is capacitive too, fast response.

You'll have to trim the bezel (got Metra) as it does not fit.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6149411938.html

I've always been bias toward the Pioneer line of AVIC receivers. Here is mine over this past weekend. Does EVERYTHING you mentioned...enjoying the slaving I did very much.

Just a couple of pics to give you reference.

7.JPG

10.JPG

Only problem with the NEX series of AVIC units is price point. To get into something with GPS you are pushing the 1k mark. That was the only reason I went Appradio 3 instead as well. The NEX shure is nice, and it will probably have that apple in car software before long if it doesnt already, if you run an iPhone that is.

Hey ZcSpec...What model Pioneer is that? The fit looks perfect. Did you have to modify anything or is it a perfect fit?

He would have needed a bezel, probably metra or another manufacturer. Also, he would have needed a wiring harness with a can bus adapter because the explorer uses cam bus to control the dimming and the parking brake signals. Looking around 60 bucks for installation supplies to do any after market deck with full functionality. More if you have steering wheel controls.

Ill post a pic of mine when I get a second.

Hey ZcSpec...What model Pioneer is that? The fit looks perfect. Did you have to modify anything or is it a perfect fit?

My headunit is a Pioneer Avic-z130BT. The kit I purchased was off of eBay and included the antenna adapter and wiring harness. I'm sure all three components were generic. Fit wise, I could not ask for a better fit. The only issue I ran into, was having to slightly enlarge the trim-plate. Why? Because my AVIC unit's face slides down to expose the CD slot. The face actually makes contact with the trim so I had to shave 1mm off to fit. Any other headunit WITHOUT a sliding front face would be fine.

One other issue that Tech by Trade mentioned, was trying to find the illumination wire. The harness I used, DOES NOT WORK correctly and according to what Trade mentioned, you'll need CAN-Bus harness. I'll have to research that. I ended up tapping into the headlight switch but it still does not work 100% correctly. :mad:

Thanks for the info Trade...since my system is completely aftermarket, I don't worry about the turn on/off thumb. Although it's decision time... I really need to determine if I want to spend the $40+ dollars for a new harness to gain signal access for:

- the VSS
- reverse
- correct illumination

Can you confirm the xsvi-5521-nav gives you access to all three? According to Metra, it does but I never 100% trust their tech info.

It brings parking break which you probably don't need anyway if you are using a bypass. I'm guessing by VSS you mean VCC accessory. Yes, and it takes the feed from the can bus so it doesn't go down until you open the door. There is also a reverse feed and a light feed. The documentation is correct on the METRA site.

I guess there is only one way for me to find out....I'm going to order the xsvi-5521-nav harness.

XSVI-5521-NAV,
If you look at some of my older posts, there is an issue with the amp ground with this kit, but it is easily remedied. Also remember the factory amp has a 3v remote so you need to drop the factory 12, to at least 5v to avoid the dreaded amp pop.

Saves doing a hack job on your factory wiring. Especially if you are only changing the factory HU.

Aftermarket Stereo Sub Click not Pop

Aftermarket Radio Install
Wish I would have found this before doing my install. 1.5k resister will do the trick for the pop? I'll look for one. I was looking at step down converters but thought they were a little bulky for the amount of space I have. I did see they sell kits for the Sport Trac with a resister and it got me questioning my order, but couldn't find the right information. I am now 2 days after the install and decided to come back to the good ole forum and see if I could find the missing information I needed, and thanks to you I did.

I personally ordered something from parts-express, it’s a little bigger but does the same.

I could have just ordered a 7805 step down and made it myself. Needing only 3 wires and something to use as a heat sink.

I personally ordered something from parts-express, it’s a little bigger but does the same.

I could have just ordered a 7805 step down and made it myself. Needing only 3 wires and something to use as a heat sink.
It's only a control line to turn on the amp, there is hardly any current involved, no heatsink required.
5V buck to toggle a control line is overkill - for other forum users don't go down that path.

Back