Regarding open air intakes, can anyone compare these two filters? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Regarding open air intakes, can anyone compare these two filters?

scott.475

Reaction score
City, State
Washington State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4wd Explorer
So I am looking at filters at Pep Boys, and on the top shelf the K&N is $64, on the bottom shelf are some "bling" type cone filters (red, white and blue) for $25. I don't remember the brand of those, but they were in blister packs, not boxes. Just wondering if anyone has any experience, good or bad, with the cheaper filters???

Oh, and another question-any reason NOT to use an element with an open end?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only differenc in the two filters IMO, is the name brand. You pay for the name and the marketing with K&N. I have a hard time believing that there is any real difference in function or performance between the two brands of filters.

Well, from past experience I have used "cheaper filters" and never had any problems with them. I find the K&N filters to be way over oiled and just muck up the MAF sensor. Just my .02 cents worth

I have used K&N air filters with good results, however, I never liked an oiled filter and have changed to an Amsoil filter.

I like the idea of the amsoil fitlers and them not being oiled. I would go that route over K&N any day.

One is usually as good as the other as far as I have seen. I have used K&N, Powerdyne's unit, knockoffs, APC filters, and so forth.

i use a powerstack filter that came with the KKM induction and it works very well. i dont have much experience with any others, though

The only problem with some of these cheap filters, is the cotton filter material will disintegrate when exposed to the elements prematurely. At least with K&N, you know you're getting a quality piece. This is a big problem with mustang owners. Some buy those cheap Ebay cold air intakes which use the cheapie filters. For those that don't know, the filter sits inside the fender.

Back