Relocating spare tire winch after body lift installation. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Relocating spare tire winch after body lift installation.

bigtigexplorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sierra Vista, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4x4
Relocating spare tire winch after body lift installation. (PICS)

I recently installed the 3" Performance Accessories Body lift, kit #883. And as many other have found the spare tire winch is now unaccessible and must fine other ways of carrying a spare tire. I was about to throw away the extra parts from the kit, when it I realized that I could could use the overload support brackets from the body lift kit to raise the spare tire winch up 3", thus making it usable.

Here's what I did, grab two of the four left over support brackets from the kit. Drill a 3/8 inche hole through the center of the top and bottom of the brackets. Unbolt the winch from the vehicle and use the factory bolts to attach the two brackets to the bottom of the winch and reposition back on the vehicle. Use two 3/8x1 inche bolts with washers and nuts to attach the new brackets to the vehicle. Your done!!!

As with most lifts the goal is to fit larger tires, so this is only a tempory fix for use with tires 31s or smaller. I'll have to figure somthing else out when I get my 33s.

I'll post pictures later to day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did the same thing and carried a 33" tire aired-down under there for a while. It was a very tight fit. Actually having a flat tire, and having to air up my spare, which had a broken bead, made me move the tire to the safari rack.

Good idea!!

You will need a rear carrier for a 33 or bigger....Or put it on the roof.

I plan on getting a roof rack which will hold the 33" spare until I get the funds to have a custom carrier built. I like the design of the one CoryL makes, but I don't like the tube frame look.

Here are the pics:
4934im0011281.jpg

4934im0011261.jpg

4934im0011291.jpg

Now you tell me. Of course, when I relized that it doesn't work anymore, I was stranded out in Moab on a trail and had to cut the metal chain to get the spare off.:rolleyes:

HokieBert, yes that is as high as it will go.

exactly what I did bigtig! Your ride looks awesome, keep it up.
Gary

Back