• Register Today It's free!

remote programming question

wicked5ltr

Reaction score
City, State
san diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 limited 4x4
i just bought a second remote from ebay, for $20 shipped, for my 95 limited, but i can't seem to get it to program with the instructions. after 5 key cycles, the locks cycle, but after i hit the first remote, nothing happens, and the locks are supposed to cycle, then i hit the second remote and nothing, then i turn off the key and nothing again, (locks should cycle again). my original remote still works, but not the second one, i've tried it about 20 times, because i've heard sometimes it takes a few times, anyone have any ideas? how many times did it take for yours to program? Thanks.

NEVERMIND i got it to work, this is good info for anyone programming a new remote.
Here is the section off the cd rom service manual:

Programming Transmitter(s):

When the customer has purchased additional transmitters, or has lost a transmitter, the customer MUST bring to the dealer ALL of the transmitters for the vehicle. The dealer must then reprogram ALL of the transmitters at the same time. The receiver assembly module erases all previous transmitters from memory, when the transmitters are programmed or reprogrammed. The receiver assembly module can store up to four transmitters in memory.

To program (or reprogram) transmitter(s) into the remote/keyless entry module, perform the following steps.

1. Make sure that the anti-theft system is not armed or triggered. Refer to «Section 13-11».

2. Turn the ignition key from OFF to RUN five times within 10 seconds, ending in RUN.

If the RAP system has successfully entered program mode, it will lock and then unlock all doors.

3. Press any button on a transmitter, and the doors will lock and then unlock to confirm that each transmitter has been programmed. If the vehicle has memory seats, look on the back of the transmitters and make sure that transmitter No. 1 is programed first, and that transmitter No. 2 is programmed second.

If the door locks do not respond for any transmitter, wait a few seconds and press the button again. If the door locks still fail to respond, go to «Pinpoint Test A» .

4. Turn ignition OFF (or wait up to five minutes after Step 2) to exit program mode. If a new set of transmitters have been programmed (or reprogrammed), the remote control alarm and door lock system will lock and unlock all doors one last time to confirm.

pay particular attention to this quote:

If the door locks do not respond for any transmitter, wait a few seconds and press the button again.

Back