• Register Today It's free!

Remote Starter for '03 XLT

05kAwBoy700

Reaction score
City, State
South East, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4wd 4.0
The wife wants a remote starter for Christmas, and I am not sure which one to get. I like to do a lot of things myself, but I'm a little unsure when it comes to this. I did a little searching on here but couldn't find anything more recent than 2007.

I do not have two keys, or the factory keyless entry fob's. (the joys of buying a used vehicle.) I am not concerned with an aftermarket alarm system. The vehicle stays within 30 feet from my house and the wife would like a way to start the vehicle without going outside. Tremendous range would not be a major concern.

I will admit, I am cheap, but I dont want to buy junk. I have no experience with car starters but I can wire in electric fans and off-road lights with ease. Hell, I've replaced the transmission on my Expedition three times. Its just something about messing with the starter that makes me nervous. I dont want to have my wife stranded because her truck wont start.

My questions are: Which remote starter would be the best for the money?

Can I just have two more keys made and ""conveniently" hide the PATS key in the vehicle?

Thanks!
-Robert

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A bypass will cost about the same as the key you plan on hiding, and will be safer, also, not all insurance companys are happy about you leaving a key in the vehicle, a guy I know had to take it off and change to a bypass module as his insurance company does not reimburse for theft if you leave the keys inside.
I have a Code Alarm and it works as it should, nothing fancy, not crap either, but let's wait for other replies, as the expert is my friend, not me, I just give him beer to instal stuff on my truck :D

I believe I would need two PATs keys in order to program the bypass box, correct? I only have the one key.

Yes, you need 2 working keys to program it, but if you went the other way, you'd still need 2 working keys

Has anyone installed a remote starter on their 3rd gen. explorer themself? Aside from insurance reasons, any drawbacks to leaving the PATs key in the vehicle?

Here's the jive.
If you leave a key head or even part of a key head in the vehicle to "bypass" PATS then your insurance will be Pissed and may not cover theft. Plus, lets run the math. A cut PATS key will cost you $30 roughly. Probably closer to $60 programed. Either way. If you only have one key now you will have to pay this. To get a third key to "hide" for PATS will be another $30 and you can program it yourself with the other two keys. OR, instead of buying a third key from the dealership for $30 you could buy a PATS interface module, also for roughly $30 (I bought one Saturday for $33) and wire it to the remote start system which will only turn it on when the remote start is activated. This will cost you the same amount of money and will maintain the integrity of the PATS antitheft system. With the PATS keyhead left in the vehicle I believe it would be possible to hammer, then screwdriver your ignition into starting. Just like the good ole days.
As for what system. First, e-bay is your friend. Second. Some food for thought is that the Ford remote start systems that you can buy at the dealership are made by Code Alarm (now owned by Audiovox). Same manufacturer = same quality. They are good stuff and their customer assistance hotline is on top of their game.
So by this, here's what you do. Buy another key and pay to get it programed. Then buy a PATS interface while your there. Next you find a suitable remote start with the features you want. Next you hook it up. With the experience you listed I don't doubt you could do it. Connect the Ford PATS interface that you bought to A. hot at all times power. and B. pulsed ground before and during starting (this will be a remote start output wire for any brand system) Lastly you program as per the manual. Test. Then reap the rewards as the hero that keeps his wife taken care of and warm. (all while using this as a great excuse for taking on yet another truck project and paying your "help" in beer)

Here's the jive...............
.....Then reap the rewards as the hero that keeps his wife taken care of and warm. (all while using this as a great excuse for taking on yet another truck project and paying your "help" in beer)

What's your beer of choice, Gus? Thanks for the reply!

Got my bypass for $22 IIRC, the box you buy to put the key in is ~$8 so you're not saving money by leaving the key to disable the pats, so yeah follow Gus' steps :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it turns out.

I want to do this to my 2003 Eddie Bauer. I can find the CodeAlarm system I want, but where can I find a bypass unit so I don't have to leave a key in my car? Also, I have heard that by installing one of these not only do I lose my factory alarm, but also the entry keypad on my door.... Help?

Back