Removal of 2nd row bench seat

HiImBrian

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
On my 2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer, I have a 2nd row bench seat. It folds down in three parts and everything works great.

HOWEVER!

I wanted to remove the center fold down seat to make it easier to get to the third row. I unbolted the seat and took it out, and was pleased to find only screw sized holes in the carpet (doesn't bother me). I put 2 rubber pieces over the bolts sticking up and that was it. It looked great but had one minor problem.

Some IDIOT at Ford decided to attach the seatbelt recievers for ALL 3 SEATS to the center seat, and now the other two seatbelts dont have anything to plug into.

Does ANYONE know if I can buy and attach seatbelt recievers to the other 2 seats? Or do I have to re-install the middle seat and just deal with it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you can buy them. I did the same thing when i added the center console to my second row. You can find them on this site (https://www.fordoemparts.net/ford-explorer-parts.html) then go to "Restraint systems" -> "rear seat belts" -> "buckle end" -> "black" and you should find them for left and right side. Hope it helps.

MF02467.gif

That's exactly what I was looking for... Now I just have to talk myself into believing it's worth the 80$ to do it..... Thanks!

Hmm, thinking about doing this to my 03 mountaineer with a 40/20/40 config in the 2nd row.

I noticed two different types of buckle ends. I chose "camel" and was presented with only one buckle end, which looks to be more like the one I need and also the one in the picture.

For those that have done this before, is it the 60/40 split seat buckle ends (which have a left and right) or is the other buckle end which appears to only come on one side...

Appreciate the help.

I know this is an old thread, BUT......both ends of the 40/20/40 2nd row seat "tumble" forward to access the 3rd row seat, so why would you want to remove the center section?

Steve

I know this is an old thread, BUT......both ends of the 40/20/40 2nd row seat "tumble" forward to access the 3rd row seat, so why would you want to remove the center section?

Steve

I removed mine so i could put in a center console from the Limited Edition explorer

Gotcha - have any pics on the install?

Steve

I did it so my 2 year old could wander around inside a little easier (not whild driving, of course). I've been considering adding a center console, but nobody ever really sits back there besides my daughter. By the time she is old enough to use a center console for anything I'll probably have a different car.

Hi everyone! I am thinking about doing the same thing, but my intention is to not have a center console and to just leave it open. I have a 2005 Lincoln Aviator. I just removed the center seat and found out the same issue that I have nowhere to connect the seat belts. This is actually OK for me for now because I have twions on the way and they will be sitting in the latch system and my oldest kids will now have access to the back. BUT, I would still like to be able to give others a ride. Do they OEM buckles still exist? Will it work for my aviator? That link doesn't seem to work above?? Thanks!! I am going everything I can at this point to not buy a minivan!

Sorry, one more question. The pass through to the third row looks terrible with the bumps and bolts, etc. Any suggestions on how to finish that off?

you could try removing all the 2nd row and grinding the bolts for the center part flush prime them paint and add some carpiting i havnt done this before but logic says it should work ;)

im going to be removing all my second row and 3rd row seats to build a camper in the back of mine with a fridge/freezer bedding a table and carpeting this spring

well i made a choice and decided to not do it since there wouldnt be enough room for a bed dresser fridge and stove so its back to were i was :(

Hi everyone! I am thinking about doing the same thing, but my intention is to not have a center console and to just leave it open. I have a 2005 Lincoln Aviator. I just removed the center seat and found out the same issue that I have nowhere to connect the seat belts.

I know this is super old, but im considering doing the same... Except, cant we just remove the (passenger) side seat instead? And that should be able to retain the seat belts since they are mounted to the middle seat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back