Remove body for engine trans swap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remove body for engine trans swap?

jessafiddle

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham al
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4.0 auto 4x4 Ranger
I have to do a engine trans swap on my 97 ranger 4.0 auto 4x4, I do not have a lift, it looks like 6 bolts hold the body on the chassis and driver controls, looks like an easy thing to pull off, is there something im missing or will run into during pulling the body off that is not obvious.

I KNOW I DO NOT HAVE TO PULL THE BODY OFF TO DO A ENGINE SWAP, IT JUST LOOKS EASIER TO DO IT THIS WAY. WILL KEEP U OFF YOUR BACK!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will have a bunch of electrical connections to deal with puling the boddy that you won't have by pulling the engine. That body won't be light either.

your not alone! i was so determined to not crawl around under the bed I was gonna dump the truck on it;s side onto a couple old mattresses lol:biggthump

If you had a two-post lift i would say go for it. But since you don't it's probably not worth it.

When I did mine it was super easy.

License plate lights
Fuel filler hose
Body harness (huge plug in the firewall)
Computer
Throttle/cruise
Ebrake
Tranny linkage
And then figure out the AC situation

I think that was everything. With a lift I could have done it in a couple hours. It sure made working on everything a ton easier!

I was thinking I could just remove the ac compesser from the engine and the rest will go with the body

Steering and brakes too. But yeah, it was a four hour ordeal for me. 2 of which was the lifting process.

If that's what you want to do, I say go for it! After you have everything disconnected, you should be able to lift the cab off with the help of some friends.It won't completely eliminate the need to do work on your back.
Good luck, and be careful!

Back