Unnatural engine swap... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Unnatural engine swap...

Why don't you go with the full compliment of bolt on's for the SOHC v-6. I am a perfect example they can run. I sell all the parts that I use. Contact me. Also if you are dead set on getting rid of the v-6 tell me what you want for the 6 and the tranny. Or better yet you can give it to me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since I am on a budget...I cant afford much for the 6..atleast I havent found much to use with one...All I know is I want(ed) brute speed and accel to beat this kid I know whos so stuck up because he has a 5.0L Mustang(stock) and thinks hes a badass. A simple V8 running a super and maby a chip would dust how his car is set up. I need a racing engine anyway since im going to try to get my truck into some burn out comps, sub comps, and drag races, all legal and on tracks...

It's going to cost a lot more to install any v8, than to mod your SOHC. How much do you think a "super" and a new trans, driveshafts, mounts, and crossmembers are going to cost you? Not to mention the headwork and intake to make the "super" worthwhile. If you want to build a race truck I'd buy a salvaged Ex and fix that.

alot less then when your v6 transmission goes KABLOOEY 3 or 4 times before you finally do a conversion.....

:) kidding!

Kid listen, you are wanting to do this conversion for all the wrong reasons and not listening to reason.
You dont have to do an exotic conversion to get a ton of power, in fact ford handed you a huge gift by putting the late model pushrod 5.0L in the explorer for you along with the strongest trans ever offered in the Explorer.

To get started all you need is the donor, but for you I would say, sell your truck and find a 5.0L explorer 2wd, then mod the hell out of it and guess what you may be able to pull even with that Mustang, at least until he adds a couple upgrades.

4500# suv vs Mustang = apples to oranges, you'll never catch em so dont worry about it

You dont have to do an exotic conversion to get a ton of power, in fact ford handed you a huge gift by putting the late model pushrod 5.0L in the explorer for you along with the strongest trans ever offered in the Explorer.
4500# suv vs Mustang = apples to oranges, you'll never catch em so dont worry about it

Another one of my top ten members. He's right on the money with this one. Sell the V6 and go find a truck with the 5 ltr. Call it a day.:thumbsup:

I would like to show what an "un natural" drivetrain conversion for big power in one of our trucks is like however. Ford did this one themselves, they stuffed a lightning drivetrain into a ranger

I am guessing upwards of $30-50K was probably spent on thsi wicked creation (and you can figure something close to that if you want to duplicate something like this):

lightningbolt1.jpg

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stories/lightningbolt/page1.html

There are also guys dropping the 4.6L DOHC drivetrain into rangers these days, talk about un -natural! But it can fit and work rather well.

The pushrod 5.0L has been done for years and years from $500 weekend torch job to $50K blow the mustangs doors off need a wheelie bar

Un natural conversions to me would be the 2.3L SVO Turbo, or the 3.8L Supercharged, or like our European buddy right now building a Cosworth 4.0L V6, or even trying to stuff a 351 under the hood of a Ranger based truck. It's all been done and will be done again. The only one I have not seen yet is a diesel conversion in the US.

The 5.0L is a "natural" fit, so it saves a TON of work and $$$$, all the research has been done for you, conversion parts are available. You can keep a/c, cruise control, OBD-II, and in your case it plugs directly in since it was offered in your truck.

It all sounds nice and good. But for a 17 year old, (No offence!) working at wal*mart part time will not pay for such a swap. If I had to use my truck; I personally would just build a turbo kit for the truck. Hide the snail under the truck. That would be WAY easer and cost about 3/4 as much. Selling your truck and finding the 5.0 would still be easer.

Ok...so if I dont go with any of my original planning, how would I make my X dragster style fast? Im going to be going to a community college around here, and they have an auto shop that builds and races drag cars. I want to show the people who talk bad about how slow SUVs how wrong they are. I know explorerexpress.com has superchargers for them, but what else is there? For a 6 or an 8? (6 preferred if I dont need the swap...)

Ok...so if I dont go with any of my original planning, how would I make my X dragster style fast? Im going to be going to a community college around here, and they have an auto shop that builds and races drag cars. I want to show the people who talk bad about how slow SUVs how wrong they are. I know explorerexpress.com has superchargers for them, but what else is there? For a 6 or an 8? (6 preferred if I dont need the swap...)

Sorry man but dragster style fast just isn't going to happen with these trucks. You can make them pretty damn quick, but it will take a whole lot of money to do it right. You can make them quick for about 10 minutes and spend a whole lot less and watch things go boom too. I will not waste my time re-explaining the many reasons why this project is probably doomed from the get-go. Best of luck to you man but you need to get a better sense of what you are dealing with and then reprioritize your goals to start.

It seems you want the quick easy fix to speed. Buy a 5.0 Explorer drop a shift kit, CAI, exhaust, tune, nitrous in it and that will keep you happy for a time to come. Other than that, good luck building something that will reliably trip the clocks at 11 seconds or better for less than $20,000 and do it without puking its guts out.

The better approach to this would be to tell us how much of a total budget you have and then reccommendations can be made based upon that. I do believe you are in for a rude awakening. Best of luck.

Honestly, i have about a $5000 budget, although I know people who could get me discounts on everything. Intake, chips, the swap would be free, engine would probably be cheap too, and NOS wouldnt even be over 200. And even 11sec still aint that bad for an SUV on a track...lol

11 seconds will cost way more then $5K, try like $20K
Free swap? heck where do I sign up! My swap was free too but I still spent over $6500 in parts

Honestly, i have about a $5000 budget, although I know people who could get me discounts on everything. Intake, chips, the swap would be free, engine would probably be cheap too, and NOS wouldnt even be over 200. And even 11sec still aint that bad for an SUV on a track...lol

Kid you have no clue if you think $5000 will get you to the 11's in any kind of reliable or consistent manner. Hehehehehehehehehehehehe. Good luck because you are in waaaaaaay over your head. I don't know who put these wild ideas in your head of how cheap or easy a project like this would be but you are clearly in no position to do it.

Ok, ok, ok... I will try to humor this. I will... Hehehe.

Ok, well first off I suggest you sell you V6 Exploder and buy a V8 instead. Probably not a huge price difference and the money, time, and effort you will save yourself will be invaluable. So now lets assume that you have $2,500 after paying the price difference between the two X's.

$2,500

Exhaust $500-$600 for a REAL mandrel bent true dual exhaust (none of that Y pipe crap)
CAI $200
Chip w/ tunes $350-$400 depending on if you go chip or flasher...
Cam, RR's, and spring kit $400
Shift kit $100
Wet nitrous $300
Rims/DR's $700

$2,550... Damn I am good... I only took you $50 over budget my first try.

That will probably get you into high 13's - low 14's but on somewhat borrowed time... It is a HUGE haul in additional power (AND MONEY) to get to the 11's from there kiddo.

Or course those are just prices for part with no labor included except for the custom dual exhaust. If you have to pay labor on the installation of all that expect to spend another $600 probably.

Rocket's story sounds great. Do that. When your done and have saved up some more money, Re-Gear the rear end, get some suspension work done.:thumbsup: When that gets slow to you, increase your nitrous oxide shot and call Paul Walker over so you can talk about blowing the welds on the intake.:thumbdwn:

and call Paul Walker over so you can talk about blowing the welds on the intake.:thumbdwn:

Hehehehehehe. Oh man, that movie is so gay. :D That is ONE HELL of a nitrous backfire to cause welds to break on an intake manifold!!! Hehehehe.

Hehehehehehe. Oh man, that movie is so gay. :D That is ONE HELL of a nitrous backfire to cause welds to break on an intake manifold!!! Hehehehe.
Or just have a air pocket in the nitrous line

11 seconds will cost way more then $5K, try like $20K
Free swap? heck where do I sign up! My swap was free too but I still spent over $6500 in parts

I can agree the swaps are not cheap, I think mine was in the $10k range and I still want to redo a lot of small things, I went with a bunch of new parts as well, but about $6500-$7 just in misc parts sounds about dead on:eek: :confused:

Or just have a air pocket in the nitrous line

Sorry but an air pocket first will almost NEVER occur and second would not cause that situation. Nitrous operates at pressures between 900-1200 psi depending on the system, that kind of pressure squeezes any air right out really quick. Also, that is what purges are for too.

I feel tension in the air.

I wanna put nitrous on my boat :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

??? Boat Juice.

Back