• Register Today It's free!

Second Row Head Rest Removal

mac2979

Reaction score
City, State
Rye
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 XLT
I have the 35/30/35 bench in my 2021 XLT. Trying to remove the middle head rest, it has a button on the one side (if looking at the seat right side). I can pull a bit and hear a click but nothing, I've tried looking for the hole some of the google searches I've done talk about but I don't see anything.

No reply from the sales person yet but I've love to remove the damn thing, is there a way?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did you read page 147 of the Owner's Manual?

Peter

As Peter said about the owners manual. There is a button on both posts that need to be pressed and held. Then the headrest should slide right out.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did you read page 147 of the Owner's Manual?

Peter
Yes I did read that and doesn't work, no matter how hard I pull once I've pushed that button in it will not come off.

Sales did get back to me and said he doesn't think it comes off, but between the owners manual and the fact it has a button seems to say otherwise.

Not to contradict sales, but many here know more about their vehicles than their salesperson. On the other hand, the Manual has also been known to be incorrect at times. I don't have an Explorer to try it out on so I'll have to rely on Dale or a member with a 2021.

Peter

Not to contradict sales, but many here know more about their vehicles than their salesperson. On the other hand, the Manual has also been known to be incorrect at times. I don't have an Explorer to try it out on so I'll have to rely on Dale or a member with a 2021.

Peter
I don't have the center seat but I would think it should be the same. There are 2 buttons that need to be depressed to release it, not just 1.

Exactly ! Two small push buttons. One for each post. Sadly, an Aggie must have designed it as it takes two to remove it and one to make the tic tock vid. ;)

Exactly ! Two small push buttons. One for each post. Sadly, an Aggie must have designed it as it takes two to remove it and one to make the tic tock vid. ;)
Only one side has the push button, the other is solid plastic

According to the Manual, there should be 2 release buttons (C). You indicate yours only has 1. That may be the problem.

1618152292317.png

According to the Manual, there should be 2 release buttons (C). You indicate yours only has 1. That may be the problem.

View attachment 329394
Yeah that image doesn't apply to any of my head rests. Both fronts only have one button, the 2 ends of my second row oddly have 2 buttons and the middle of the second row only has one. I'm starting to think something is wrong.

Attached is a picture of my front head rest with buttons, the other is the buttons on the second row... just the one button.

headrest_Front.png

headrest_MiddleSecondRow.jpg

I would schedule it with service and not bother with sales. Per the owner's manual that Peter posted you should be able to remove it.

I had this problem! My kids were goofing around in the back and pulled the rear seatbelt out to maximum extension and wrapped it around the headrest. It was locked a wouldn't retract.

I too read the manual and looked for two buttons. There is only one button! I ended up breaking the damn clips off.

I took it in to my dealer and made it very clear this was a manufacturing defect, because the manual clearly shows two buttons. Service tech said "those instructions are for techs, and you can't remove the headrest". They ended up replacing it for free, but still never solved the problem!

If it was me, the next step would be to call Ford customer service. 800-392-3673
What the service tech said makes no sense. It's called an owners manual, not a service tech manual.
Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

T
If it was me, the next step would be to call Ford customer service. 800-392-3673
What the service tech said makes no sense. It's called an owners manual, not a service tech manual.
Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.
Took it in and they couldn't remove it either and tried on 3 other cars on the lot and none came out. They did some research and found the only way to remove the middle seat head rest is to actually take the seat apart, it has a clip on the second bar to keep it in. So the seat would have to come out and the clip removed from the inside.

T

Took it in and they couldn't remove it either and tried on 3 other cars on the lot and none came out. They did some research and found the only way to remove the middle seat head rest is to actually take the seat apart, it has a clip on the second bar to keep it in. So the seat would have to come out and the clip removed from the inside.
Well if it was me, I would still call Ford customer service and voice displeasure over it. Just doesn't make sense that the owners manual says it can be removed but the vehicle only has one release button to do so. Just my 2 cents.

The illustration in the 2020 Manual is not identical but very similar to the one in the 2019 Manual. Unfortunately, it's not unusual to sometimes carry over information from one model year to another without updating it.
So it would appear that it is not removable, (seat dismantling aside).

Peter

The owners manuals for both the 2020 and 2021 have the same illustration along with directions on removing the head rest from the second row center seat. That sure makes it seem like it should be removable.

The owners manuals for both the 2020 and 2021 have the same illustration along with directions on removing the head rest from the second row center seat. That sure makes it seem like it should be removable.
I noticed that as well and was going to put that in my post but then noticed mac2979 has a '21 and had the same issue I guess I forgot. We used to be able to point that out to the Ford reps when they were here.
BTW, the Aviator Manual has the same illustration and directions. If anyone reading this thread has the Aviator with the 2nd row bench, it would be appreciated if you could check your to see if it is the same.

Peter

Well if it was me, I would still call Ford customer service and voice displeasure over it. Just doesn't make sense that the owners manual says it can be removed but the vehicle only has one release button to do so. Just my 2 cents.
Did this ever get resolved??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back