Removing 3rd Row Seats & Installing Cross Brace | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing 3rd Row Seats & Installing Cross Brace

Post number 10 has been selected as best answered.

MikeCallery

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT Tri-Coat
There is another user on here that beat me to removing the 3rd row seats and in his comments gave me some ideas of what I needed to do.

I just finished the job of removing the third row as well as the 3rd row seat belts and it really was not as bad as I thought it would be. Why Ford insists on every Explorer getting them is beyond me, but my intention is to install a deck at the same level the seat backs would reside and utilizing piano hinges, allow it to lift up directly behind the 2nd row, where there is some nice storage and then to the wheel well, allowing additional storage there. This weekend was the removal phase. Next weekend, or soon, I'll start the other project but want to give myself time to think through a few thoughts and designs.

If this is something you are looking at doing, removing the 3rd row, feel free to hit me up for any questions if you'd like. It's always a bit easier approaching this when someone has gone before you and made the mistakes!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some typos are just too good, but I had to fix it! :cool:

3rd Row Seat Removal Questions

Mike,

What is the trick to removing the 3rd row seat. The front part is pretty obvious, but I don't want to recreate the wheel in removing the pivoting center part?

Thanks in advance.

My best email is Tyrecrew@msn.com

Mike--Can you please tell me the basic steps to removing the third row seat? I can see how the front bolts are but not the big axle the seats ride on.

Thanks Lots---Wes

kingweslaur@aol.com

That's a nice setup! Well done.

So how difficult would it be to reinstall the seats?

Can you give a rough estimate on how long it takes to pull them? I can see taking them out for a long family road trip/camping trip when I need all the space I can get- and can have a nice flat inside sleeping spot too!

To Re-install

Probably a good hour or so. Taking things out is always a bit easier. In my case, I also removed the two higher pillar panels all the way in the back and unbolted the 3rd seat belts to prevent them from bobbing around as I drove.

Here are some basics to get anyone started:

Removal of 3rd row rear seats in 2011 For Explorer

Please note, that this is my procedure from memory. I am not a vehicle technician or Ford employee and bear no responsibility for anything going wrong with this procedure. Basically, this is the usual disclaimer that I’m simply offering my comments on how I did this work for your benefit:

Make sure you have ample room as the two side pieces you are removing of a good size!

- Open the back hatch and the back doors, remove everything loose from the rear doors back.
- @ the back doors, remove the kickplates on both sides.
- @ the hatch, remove the plastic piece that says remove to access tire well
- @ the hatch, reach in to the wheel well and carefully begin to pull the plastic center piece out and away from the body. It unsnaps from the bottom the easiest. As you get towards the top pull the piece forward and up to bring it over the hatch lock. Remove fully and place to the side.
- Lower the back seats and then pull them up and to their most forward position.
- @ the hatch, each side panel has to be fully removed. To do this, it basically unsnaps, although the DS will have a 12v wire for the cigarette lighter and another wire for the speaker. The right PS will have a speaker wire only. To remove these panels, you have to begin to unsnap them from the back of the vehicle. Pull them out from underneath the rubber gasket and slowly pull outward and unsnap as you go. These pieces are about five foot long and extend into the back seat area. You may need to walk around to that area to continue unsnapping the piece.
- @ the back, the main seat support is held in place by two bolts per side that I believe were about 14mm though that’s from memory. They are in there pretty good.
- @ the rear seat, lift up the flat seat support piece and you will see the front seat supports. There are a total of four bolts up there as well, two per side. They will need to come put for the seat assembly to be removed.
- That’s basically it.
- I did go a step further in that I removed the plastic body panels on the back pillars in order to remove the seat belts completely from the back. If you have gone this far, now would be the time to look at those panels and do the removal. I packed some grey foam under the seatbelt opening to hide the white body panel.

3rd seat removal

Mike--Thanks for the help. I had the seats out in about an hour.

Wes

Will this work if you have power 3rd row???

If you want to see the pictures of the end result of my taking out the third row and building a deck with cargo access, here is a link to my Picasa album with my Explorer. The last two pictures shows off the new cargo area.

https://picasaweb.google.com/mikecallery/CarsFord?feat=directlink

Very nice results! Where did you get the recessed hardware and the carpet to match the interior? It looks like you picked up a ton of space under the floor. Also, did you use 1/2 or 3/4 plywood?

Kage_

I used 3/4" plywood so that it would handle most weight that I would put on it. The hardware is simply a piano hinge from home depot as is the carpet and the aluminum trim pieces up in the front.

As for picking up space, yes, a huge amount. I love that I can carry a boat load of tools down there and still have my cargo area fully usable for anything I need.

Mike, you have the exact same model and color I have, after looking at you other pictures.....Q was there any difference in radio reception with your antenna fin install?
Better, worse or couldn't tell?

In my opinion, no difference. That includes driving locally and a trip up north about 300 miles. In conclusion, if this is something you want for your Explorer, I would not hesitate getting it, works like a charm.

Now, I will say that the original double stick they used did not do well for me but that might have been a bad install. 3M makes a industrial type double stick that is used on a lot of motorcycle accessories. It is grey, comes in a roll for about $4.00 and I re-did the base with this and it does much, much better.

In my opinion, no difference. That includes driving locally and a trip up north about 300 miles. In conclusion, if this is something you want for your Explorer, I would not hesitate getting it, works like a charm.

Now, I will say that the original double stick they used did not do well for me but that might have been a bad install. 3M makes a industrial type double stick that is used on a lot of motorcycle accessories. It is grey, comes in a roll for about $4.00 and I re-did the base with this and it does much, much better.

Agreed with the 3m, I've used that on my boat too. Where did you get the antenna cover ( fin) and how much?

Agreed with the 3m, I've used that on my boat too. Where did you get the antenna cover ( fin) and how much?

From other threads I've read its made by Visual Garage Inc and it runs $69 + shipping (around $12). Also, for Fords you have to email them and they will send you an order form.

I really like the antennae fin. You said radio reception is not effected and does that go for Sirius and GPS or just Am/FM. I like the look but hate to lose Sirius and GPS reception

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3rd Row Delete?

I need some opinions on the removal of the 3rd row seats. A few days ago I was able to remove the 3rd row seats successfully on my ExSport. I will post pics later today so people can have an idea of what the area looks like. After the removal, I started thinking that the tube the seats mount to actually serves a purpose. I was thinking that it acts as a swaybar adding rigidity to the rear of the truck.

I also found this picture of an interceptor http://www.troyproducts.com/products/Command Post/CARGO-MOUNT-GUNBOX.jpg
Does anyone know if that cross bar is standard on the interceptors and can it be purchased from Ford if it comes on the stock vehicle?

Maybe I should just put the seats back and deal with all the space they take up? What do you guys think. Thanks

Back