• Register Today It's free!

removing coils???

burtonsnow

Reaction score
City, State
san diego, california
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 navajo
anyone got any tips for me??? im gonna be hittin this project in the next week to put on my leveling coils

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess we're talking about the front coil springs... right? OK then. When I exchanged these about a year ago I even rented a coil compressor - special tool to compress coils for easier removal....... don't need to do that. All you have to do is raise the truck, put supports under the frame and drop both sides of the differential. Then take your shocks off and push down on a diff as much as possible....... but first unscrew the big nut that holds the coil down. If you still have a hard time as you might on the passanger side you can use the original jack to push the diff down even more. Passanger side is lighter than driver's...... should go like that. Problems? let me know...

its actually on a 93 ranger 2wd

so i need to lower the i-beams after unbolting them right??

oh crap! I though you were asking about your 94 Navajo that is in your profile......

with this question try the Ranger section then.........

sorry...
:(

its cool

Take the sway bar off, and the shocks then raise it up and yank em out! Works pretty good with a long crowbar just to get leverage.

The process is actually not that different. Jack up the front of the truck (pretty high) and support it by the frame with stands. Pull the wheels and unbolt the shocks (top or bottom--doesn't matter). Use a ratchet with a LONG extension through the top of the coil, or a breaker bar through the side of the coil with a socket to get the retaining nut loose at the bottom. It will be tough to get off all the way. Once the nut and retaining plate under it are removed, push down on the I-beam and have someone else work the coil out. Using the stock bottle jack to force the axle down isn't a bad idea, and it will probably help tremendously when trying to get the taller spring in. Get the new coil in place, replace the plate and nut at the bottom, reconnect the shock, put the wheel back on and do the other side. It's really not that hard to do.

I have never done any work to a 2WD....... but it seems it all works the same..... simple tools, jacks, jack stands and muscles...

good luck!

sweet.....ill be hittin this job by myself so ill just have to figure it out..hehe

Back