Removing e/c clip question

cmhaah06

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CLOVIS, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I'm in the process of doing the e/c clip eliminator and have a question about removing it. I already have a powertrax locker installed do I need to remove the locker in order to remove the e/c clip?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have a powertrax nor have I worked on one so take this with a grain of salt at least.

I did a quick search online and found some installation instructions for the locker. It's a generic instruction manual and not specific to the ttb application but it's what summit has linked to the d35 locker. The order of installation suggests that at least partial disassembly is required to remove one of the c clips and if the c clip in question happens to be the first one the instructions requires to be installed then you pritty much have to pull all the guts out to get at it. Like I said, I have not touched one of these lockers (yet) so I very well could be wrong.

The instructions I found are here http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/pwt-1000703mib.pdf if you'd like to take a look at them. There was also special instructions here http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/pwt-23102311.pdf regarding installation without the use of c clips for non c clip related axles.

Did you install the locker yourself by chance?

I did not install the locker myself.... I had a guy who runs a fab shop do the install. Thanks for the links, I now know what is needed to get the pinion shaft out. I have a question for those who may know. I was going to start taking the locker out, when I went to remove the pinion shaft lock bolt, this is what I found:

No pinion shaft locking bolt! Well, I fished around and it appears there is a pin inside the bolt hole. My question: Does a dana 35 TTB diff use a pin instead of a bolt to lock the pinion shaft in place? If so does anybody have any ideas on how to remove this pin/bolt?

The stock Dana 35 FRONT (TTB) carrier does indeed use a "pin". The Dana 35 Trac Lok (designed for a Jeep Rear axle) which is now in our TTB front end uses a bolt.

So from my sample size of 2, front Dana 35 carriers have pins and Rear Dana 35 Carriers use a bolt.

~Mark

A pic of the pin inside the bolt hole location: (sorry all i have is my phone camera, you get the picture though.)

Ahhh! Maniak, thanks for the reply. So, do I just use a punch to remove it? Where does it come out from?

I still have my old stock carrier at home. I'll try to grab a shot of it tonight (and look at it). When we did my open to LS conversion we pulled the entire carrier and did the work on the bench.

Once we figured out it was a pin and not a bolt (took a full day) I don't remember doing anything odd to get it out. IIRC we just used a punch (same size as the pin) and whacked it out. I don't remember which way we hit it but I "think" we hit it from inside to the outside (towards carrier bearing)

~Mark

edit: found this.. says what I remember...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28703

Ok. This is good news, gonna be out in the garage tomorrow working on this beast. I need to get it back together, the wife wants to park in the garage again. I just have to fix the broken bearing cap, pull out c clip, install c clip eliminator, put locker back together, install new wheel bearings, spindle bearings, slap it all together, bleed brakes, grease/lube everything and get a alignment. Woo..... that seems like a bit of a list. Hopefully I'll get it together in the next two days.

Anyone know the torque spec's for the bearing caps inside the diff of a dana 35? I cant seem to find them in my chilton's manual.

You mean you should use a torque wrench? :)

We ran into this when we did my d-35 trac-lok.

According to TRS..
Ring Gear Bolt Torque 55 Lbs Foot 70-90 Lbs Ft
Carrier Bearing Cap Torque 30-45 Lbs Foot 47-67 Lbs Ft

The Diff places I checked showed 55 lbs (multiple places showed that).

~Mark

Awesome! Ill get them torqued down and hopefully start installing things tomorrow. Thanks for your wisdom Maniak!

91 FSM lists the bearing cap bolts as 47-67 ft-lbs Ring gear bolts 70-90 ft-lbs for the Dana 35 IFS

Back