Removing front dust shields? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing front dust shields?

forcemac

Reaction score
So, after doing my front wheel bearings, rotors, and pads, I think my dust shields are rubbing on the rotors. I want to remove/replace the shields, but can't find the parts for the shield at Rock Auto or Napa...is there a proper name for them? Or should I just take them off and not worry about them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just bend that so they don't rub, it's just sheet thin metal. :)

I'd like too, but there is another problem...i noticed that the shields appear to be have bolts holding them, but they are sunk so they are flush with the shield...almost looking like a rivet or spot weld. Anways, the shield has come unfastened from one of the middle bolts and is floating about 3mm away from knuckle...I am sure this is the problem...but I can't really reattach it...not sure how...

Ah I know what you mean now... Well... Another way to look it up might be "backing plate" rather than dust shield.

Good luck.

Try Splash Shield, its shown on the Front Suspension>Brake Components on the Ford Online system. (Item 5 for my 2004)

Splash shield , Splash shield Left
SHIELD - SPLASH
List Price : $21.25
Your Price : $15.43

MF02310.gif

Look here https://www.tituswillfordparts.com/index.php

Hello Miker104 is the Splash shield you have in the pic to cover your Calapers ?

Try Splash Shield, its shown on the Front Suspension>Brake Components on the Ford Online system. (Item 5 for my 2004)

Splash shield , Splash shield Left
SHIELD - SPLASH
List Price : $21.25
Your Price : $15.43

MF02310.gif

Look here https://www.tituswillfordparts.com/index.php

Found it for my 2002 Mountianeer, problem is...there are two left front ones? Which one to get? There are two right ones as well, but at least they are labeled 2wd or 4wd....mine is 4wd

send your VIN to the site and they will make sure you get the correct ones

T Y . was looking for a quick fix to cover my calapers, all rust covered but working well.

I took the dust cover off while I was doing a front wheel bearing on my 02. They may look like rivets but they are loosely threaded and are pressed into the aluminum steering knuckle. They pulled out easy and went back in just as easy.

Also make sure if you take them off not to put them on backwards, they will for sure rub on the rotor, a buddy of mine said he did that on his Chevy and it made a real nasty screeching sound ;)

Back