Removing Lower Grille? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing Lower Grille?

Reaction score
City, State
Davenport, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 4.6L V8 XLT
Hi guys! So, as some of you may know based on a prior post, I am trying to install my upper and lower billet grilles. I got the upper grille installed and looking about how I like it, but I am at a loss as to how to go about removing my lower grille in order to install the billet one. I know that there are six screws of some sort in there, and you have to drill out the license plate bracket? I took a look tonight, and I am not sure at all how to remove those "screws". Any suggestions? They look like the plastic screws that are holding my bug shield on, but how do you un-screw them when you can't get a tool in there? I have searched on this forum, google, and youtube, but come up empty on any "how-tos"

Any help would be appreciated, as I am going to try and install it this weekend.

Thank you!

There are 6 aluminum "nuts" threaded onto platic studs comeing from the lower grille. You should be able to grab them and spin them off with your fingers(a pair of pliers to loosen them first will help).

I took off that lower plastic grille, then bolted my billet grille into place and it looked awful. so i took 4 wood screws and mounted the billet grille over top of the existing plastic grille. Here are the results:
DSC02606.jpg

100_0630.jpg

i can take an up close shot if you would like, but the truck is muddy right now

Thanks for the info! I wasn't sure if there were nuts on there or not because it's kind of a tight spot! I wish that I could just mount mine over the stock one, but it will not fit with my licence plate bracket :( I am planning on using spacers if necessary in order to get it to look right.

Nice Ex by the way! What size of lift did you use and is it a suspension lift, body lift, or both?

Back