4.0 OHV Oil Filter Adapter / Mount Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 OHV Oil Filter Adapter / Mount Leak

fast_dave

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
East Bay - Nor Cal / PRK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Spt 4.0 OHV 5 spd 4x4
OK guys - need some insight from those who've "been there and done that"

My Ex - Sport 4wd with 5 Speed Manual and A/C has 202,000 miles on it.

The past 2 oil changes I've been noticing oil around the area from, what officially called, the Oil Filter Adapter. Now I'm getting drips of oil on the floor - time to fix!

To clarify in layman's terms, it's where you install the oil filter ;-)

Oil_Filter_Adapter_03b.png

I've GOOGLE'd the problem, and read a number of threads that have to deal with this engine in Aerostars, Rangers and Ex's. There's a pretty good thread at the following link that answers a lot of my questions regarding the (3) O-Rings that need to be replaced - so I've got that part of the repair answered.

Link: 95 4.0 oil leak - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Towards the end of the thread listed ABOVE, specifically on Page 2 - a thread poster named "Somerowl" (from his Forum Pic has a Gen 2 Explorer Sport) stated that he needed to remove the passenger side exhaust manifold due to clearance issues of removing the Oil Filter Adapter Bolt.

Apparently the reason is due to there only being approximately 1/3" clearance between the Oil Filter Adapter Bolt Head and the Exhaust Manifold. I'm imagining that is not enough clearance to fully unscrew the Oil Filter Adapter bolt necessary to remove the Adapter / Mount. I'm also imagining this tight clearance is why, over 19 years, the two O-Rings that are on the Oil Filter Adapter Bolt "cook" and shrink causing the leak. Simple radiant heat transfer...

Anyways, I guess my question in all this is - is his experience of the Exhaust Manifold being removed to get the Oil Filter Adapter Bolt out / removed the case???

I know that 99.9% this is more than likely the case, but figured I'd confirm it anyway. Holding out hope ;-)

The Passenger Side is the "tight side" of the engine due to all the the A/C Evaporator and Accumulator Equipment. The job looks like a combination of "bottom" and "through the wheel well" work. A lot of mess due to the removal off all the old accumulated oil and dirt.

Thanks in advance -

P.S. Ordered Adapter Bolt O-Ring, Adapter Mount O-Ring & Exhaust Manifold Gasket(s) through Rock Auto, and for the GREEN color E9TZ-6749-A O-Ring through a Ford Dealership on Ebay for approximately $3.75 Delivered. That GREEN O-Ring is VERY HARD to get reasonably priced - and no aftermarket source as far as I can see...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The problem is the front exhaust Y pipe is in the way, and taking that off involves a lot of work the bolts are rusted solid into the exhaust manifolds...You may want to check the valve cover gasket real good, mine leaked before, making it look like it was coming from the oil filter adapter...If you want to replace that adapter gasket you'll have to take that Y pipe off to get at the bolt...The exhaust manifold itself is not really in the way...Good Luck...

The problem is the front exhaust Y pipe is in the way, and taking that off involves a lot of work the bolts are rusted solid into the exhaust manifolds...You may want to check the valve cover gasket real good, mine leaked before, making it look like it was coming from the oil filter adapter...If you want to replace that adapter gasket you'll have to take that Y pipe off to get at the bolt...The exhaust manifold itself is not really in the way...Good Luck...

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your observations/advice!

Yeah - good call - I always try to go for K.I.S.S. first, BUT in this case it's not the Valve Cover Gaskets, and here's why. Just last weekend I replaced the upper intake manifold gaskets that this engine is infamous for hardening over 100,000 miles.

PG54photo%20primary__ra_p.jpg

When I was doing that repair - since I was "in the neighborhood" - I checked all the valve cover bolts. The valve cover gaskets were dry with no leaks. As I figured would be the case, the bottom valve cover bolts - closest to the firewall - on BOTH sides - had loosened up and were "wet".

So - have you had tackled this repair as well?

Because in your case you're saying it's really the Y Pipe that's in the way and needs to be disconnected to get that Oil Filter Adapter Plate Bolt undone.

"Somerowl" The poster from the Ford Truck Enthusiast Thread (linked above), talked about unbolting the exhaust manifold. NOTE: Just went back and read that thread and on the bottom of Page 1 Somerowl states he has a SOHC - not an OHV like I have, so that's more than likely why he had to take "another route."

That said, I know that there are all different ways to "skin a cat" and your way sounds easier. We all look at things differently.

Regardless - the only good in all of this is that my Ex has lived it's whole life in California - so rusted exhaust bolts are not an issue. I see you're in Massachusetts - road salt country ;-)

Any and all thoughts welcome -

If you can get the front Y exhaust pipe off ,you'll be able to get that adapter bolt off and the whole adapter, ive done it before...

If you can get the front Y exhaust pipe off ,you'll be able to get that adapter bolt off, ive done it before...

I'm assuming you unbolt the Y Pipe at BOTH the D & P side exhaust manifold outlets, and let it hang down or?

Yes and at the catalytic converter...
Do you recall if there's any "donut" exhaust gaskets that need to be replaced when I open up those 3 attachment points? No worries as I have more than a few good auto parts stores close by, it's more of a "just wondering" question.

Yes there's a gasket at the catalytic converter none at the exhaust manifolds...

Yes there's a gasket at the catalytic converter none at the exhaust manifolds...

Thanks brother - I'll probably do a write up for future reference!

Let us know how it works out...Good Luck

Let us know how it works out...Good Luck
Thx - next weekends big project - provided USPS does their part and gets my Rock Auto and Ebay parts here by Saturday!

Back